Thursday 28 September 2017

Checker's Jam 9-27-17-Crystal Clear

Hosts: Cathy Hart and Lorie Parker  (The Hart-Parker Duo)

Songs:

Send Me Somebody To Love*
Tulsa Time
Switch Board Susan
Love's Made A Fool Out Of You
Everybody's Talking
Ring Of Fire

*debut

Mike Frederick-Congas on Switch Board Susan
John-Congas on Ring Of Fire
Jay Devore-Guitar on Ring Of Fire
Lorie Parker, Cathy Hart, Donna Jo Eisner-Backing Vocals
Allen McGraw-Guitar
Jeff Gage-Guitar
Carl Meiners-Guitar




2017, remains a special sort of year, although bittersweet.  I finally got out of the bedroom and on the stage to play guitar and sing songs. Cathy, Lorie and Julie encouraged me back in December to try it once and see what happens.   Things came together, be it with the Acousta Kitties, Hart-Parker, Julie and Ryan and then onward to other jams. Whittier, Stone City, Cooters, Waubeek, Parlor City, The Long Branch, Artisan  Sanctuary, and sitting in with Four Day Creep on Dreams I'll Never See Again, helping Mike Serbousek in West 66 and then with him and Julie with the Mad Dogs.  And then being asked to do the Cabin Jam on the Wapsi, which lead to Vinton for a benefit and then last week at Rubies Benefit in Center Point.   And then, The EGADS!  One of the more off the wall bands I have ever played in. 

For the first time I did the Fred Neil version of Send Me Somebody To Love but it still needs a bit more polished before I try it again at the Long Branch this weekend.   Once again no originals were done, I basically did the more uptempo numbers and trying to get Tulsa Time and Switch Board Susan sound a bit more smoother. Not many people cared much about the songs, Carl was listening to singing along with Tulsa Time  And Love Made A Fool Out Of You I segmented into Everybody's Talking.  And then closed things out with Ring Of Fire, extended since Lorie came on stage to sing and Jay played guitar and Mike played banjo.

Cathy and Lorie really supported me this time out and afterwards we were laughing bout Ron LeFleur's tirade about not playing at the Rubies Bar Benefit since he thought they were gonna contact him.  Cathy did ask if I was going to return back up there to do the Oct 14th afternoon Part 2 of the benefit and told her I would. (Note: I ended up catching a bad cold and couldn't perform)

As I went home into the night, I thought about The Acousta Kitties and the break up and the hope that everybody could reunite somewhere down the road.   Anything is possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.