Monday 19 March 2018

The Weekend Jams 3/17/18

Guest Star with Four Day Creep at Aces And Eights-St. Patrick's Day

Rick Clay-Guitar and lead vocals
John Baughman-Bass
Amanda Marshall-Vocals
Troy Mitchell-Drums (picture below)
Kyle David Miller-Guest guitar player and singer on Can't You See



Dreams I'll Never See Again
Cheap Sunglasses
Can't You See

Tami Soukup took videos of the songs that I played on.
Frank Smith took photos



"Lets make this a good one!"  Rick Clay yells into the microphone on the start of Dreams I'll Never See Again.  And this actually turned out very good despite me not doing the drum roll into the song.  While I tend to play on feel, I let Rick let loose on guitar.  He really kicks ass on the lead.  I do admit that I do a very driving beat and I have come a long way from the crash and bash of Paraphernalia Tyrus of years ago.  I still do a lotta cymbal accents and counterbeats, but I don't do much drum fills on the songs, my playing has gotten more simpler.  John Baughman does a fine job of keeping me withing the confines of the beat.  Good players will do that.  Right after Dreams, Rick goes right into Cheap Sunglasses which kinda caught me off guard but recovered and for the next six and half minutes we jammed out to the ZZ Top classic.



I later rejoined John with Rick's friend from Indiana, Kyle on guitar.  First time I ever jammed with Kyle and he did a soulful version of Can't You See.   Man, that was fun.




Stone City General Store 3/18/18

Songlist:

Act Naturally
Woman (Sensuous Woman)
She Belongs To Me
Lynch Party
When Will I Be Loved
Fox On The Run
Let's Work Together
Everybody's Talking

Aaron Caryl: Mandolin on Everybody's Talking
Sandy; Drums elsewhere

With:
Lane Gaffney
Glen Gardner
Bill Schlatter
Maki Dervo
Mike Moran
Corey Baker
Ray Larson
Dan Springer
Julie Gordon
Dave Bonham

Before doing my set, I didn't drink any caffeinated products and settled on water only.  That helped a lot as I did a very long 8 song set despite having some of the finest bluegrass folk country folks in attendance.   Aaron Carl joined on mandolin on Everybody's Talking to which I gave him an extra few bars just to jam out.  Sandy played percussion and drums and was very good. In fact he mentioned that he did percussion work with Jerry Lee Lewis back in the past  He played in a duo, (i didn't get their name) which the lead singer sounded a lot like Raul Malo or Roy Orbinson.  He was actually very good.

The crowd enjoyed the songs to the point that Lane granted me a few extra songs in the process. Julie and Dave came later, but Julie had car trouble and had to leave it behind.  I made a couple trips to get my brother to take a look at her car and after that it was decided that I would take her and Dave home.  Julie and Dave closed out the jam with their set at around 9:15.

Notes;  Act Naturally was debuted and went better than the blotched attempt at Whittier a week ago. I did go over most of these songs before heading out.   All the songs were done solo, that rare occasion that me and Julie didn't play together, but I guarantee you next time she'll be up stage with me.  I did worked on Stop Draggin My Heart Around earlier in the afternoon but didn't play that one at Stone City.  Julie did chat with a few of the musicians so I let her sit back and enjoy herself.

The Stone City General Store has the best burgers and comfort food out in the boonies.  With the car issues,I decided to pass on going to Anamosa for Mexican food and ended up grabbing French Dip Beef Sandwich and of course the Stone City Sundae, including the famed fried brownies that make it a treat to eat.  Julie and I split one together.

In the end, it was a good week of jams.  I went from hard rock to acoustic folk rock and didn't miss the beat, and ended up having another drummer back me up. I could get used to that.  Sandy was a true professional,he even managed to cover up some of the mistakes that I made on a couple songs.   He made me sound 10 times better Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.