Sunday 29 April 2018

Stone City Acoustic Showcase 4/29/18

I wish I can type but here goes.



A capacity crowd of jammers limited my set list to three songs.

Songs done:

I Always Want To Be With You
Logic And Lies
Gold Dust Woman

Julie Gordon guest star on the final track.

With

Dave Bonham
Steve Black Wolf
Lane Gaffney
Carl Meiners
Mike Fredericks
Jay Devore
Bill Schlatter
Mike Moran

Photos by Steve Black Wolf



I'm getting more used to the crowd when I play the General Store to the point that today I went with two originals and then on my final number Julie sang Gold Dust Woman.  I just can't bring myself to sing the words.  It was written by a woman for women to sing, although Waylon Jennings did his own version of the song.  If Julie is around, chances are she will sing that song.

It's been a year since we first did Gold Dust Woman after goofing around with it at her place and it has taken a life of its own.  People love to hear it judging from the crowd reaction.  Kimberly Trevillion does a good version of it as well but for that classic feel, Julie will nail it even when I throw off the wall riffs her way.  I look at it this way, she can sing it with anybody she chooses for her duets, Ryan could probably do it, and so can Dave Bonham.   In fact I encourage Julie to play it for others.  It's rock and roll and it's meant to be shared by everybody.  That's what I think.

Two weeks ago, I got sidelined by a fever and a cold and couldn't do much for about 10 days.  I did play Stone City last week in front of my brother and it was a fun time to have him out in the audience. Today I actually sang pretty good.  Steve Black Wolf made his Stone City debut and played I won't build your fucking wall and used the F bomb and forgot all about the kids out on the audience.  He later apologized to a woman who didn't mind it and she later came up to sing a couple songs.   Julie did three originals on her own and then teamed up with Dave to do some songs for their set.  This might have been the earliest that I ever took the stage, I even beat Bill Schlatter to the stage.


(Bear, Jeremiah, Terry, Rick Clay and Jeff Overly-Rumors' Jam) (Ed Butler: photo)

Over at Rumors, Rick Clay joined Mike Clair, Jeremiah Murphy and Terry McDowell for their afternoon jam and Cooters had Dan Hartman and friends.  Rocky Smith was in the Stone City Audience.    Jeff Overly came up to play and sang as well. Also a new Sunday Night jam is happening over at Otis Tailgator's Club from 7-10 (no word if Just Jules still has one going on or not) and I may have to go check that out in the near future.

In the meantime, this afternoon I was going over a few songs and then started playing Driving At Night, a song that I have attempted to record three times in the past 30 years. Somehow we turned it into a 10 minute marathon including using the riff from The Texan, an old TV show with Rory Calhoun.  I might use that version on the next Townedgers album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.