Wednesday 27 June 2018

Checkers' Acoustic Showcase 6-27-18

Songs;

Gold Dust Woman
Bye Bye Love
Sugar Coated Loving
No Expectations
Six Days On The Road
Dead Flowers
Tulsa Time
Stop Draggin My Heart Around

With



Julie Gordon: Lead Vocals on Gold Dust Woman, Draggin My Heart Around
and backing vocal for Tulsa Time

And

Glen Gardner
Lauren Shuster
Carl Meiners
Mike Fredericks
Dave Bonham
Donna Jo Eisner
DJ Hovenstat

I'm not sure if the Aces N Eights Wednesday Jam is cutting into the crowd participation, but I did see DJ popping in for a chat with Julie, my guess he probably went down there.   It's tough trying to support both jams but since Julie hosts this jam, I'm more inclined to support her.  As always, Glen and Carl showed up as well to play their music.  But in theory, I wonder if Aces And Eights continues to get more jammers if Checkers might jettison this jam.  I doubt that but stranger things have happen.

As in the case of the Chrome Horse closing down their Blairs Ferry location and returning full time back to New Bo.  New Bo is continuing to have more venues to play at, but whoever takes over the other Chrome Horse will probably turn that into a karaoke thing.  I also noticed that Hardee's closed their Kirkwood Blvd location which is really no big deal;  they never seem to have sweet tea when I did go there to visit them.  The Sixth Street and Mount Vernon ones are still open.  So I still have a place to eat and then get the shits later on.

Needless to say, Julie led off with Gold Dust Woman and then I debuted Bye Bye Love and Sugar Coated Love and then coasted with repeat of No Expectations from the Sunday gig.  I think I'm getting used to the workmanlike quality of the songs that I play, I'll still mess up a chord or two but then repeat the offending chord to see if anybody notices.  I doubt  if the 20 patrons really cared much of hearing the mistakes or not.  Perhaps I could have gone to Aces n Eights after my set list, and perhaps Julie would have been cool with that.  But I do think she was more happier that I was still around at the end.   Anyway, a guy came up and requested some Tom Petty so we ended things with Stop Draggin My Heart Around, but since I haven't played it much managed to mess up on the first chorus.   The argument remains had Greg and Brenda Mein doing a better version but I think when Julie & I do ours we tend to rock a bit more although I'm trying to get used to her version.

With Ryan Paul back in town, there's been a bit of friction going on to anybody that he comes across with.  He's a good player and singer, his work ethnic tends to paint him as lazy and a bit dominant.  With Dreams Of Arcadia, Julie and him does have a dynamic tension that makes the songs a bit more edgy.  But the working relationship with Julie is a bit strained.  She has no gigs with him till July 27th at the Break Room.  It's hard to say, I guess it depends on which way the wind blows.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they did play again.

Steve Black Wolf couldn't make it to the jam tonight, personal issues going on.  We really could have used him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.