Tuesday 19 June 2018

Parlor City Blues Jam-Smooth Grooves

Thank you Miles for letting me play your drums.  I try my best to treat your set as well as mine.

Songs:

On Broadway
Dead Flowers
The Olivia Groove
Baby What You Want Me To Do

With:

Bryce Janey-Lead Guitar and backing vocals (On Broadway, Dead Flowers)
T Bone Giblin-Keyboards
Dan Johnson-Bass and lead vocals on Baby What You Want Me To Do
Billy Bourbon-Lead vocals and guitar on On Broadway and Dead Flowers
Bob Gleason-Harmonica
And the twin guitar attack of Anderson Coates and Mark on Olivia And the Jimmy Reed number

Brook Hoover and Steve Deforest were in the audience but didn't play.
Laurel Henshaw was there too.

George Hanna was not there.


I have been so focused on my acoustic guitar jams that I almost abandoned my drum playing in town.  I suspect that will change more often than not.

I have known about the Ramsey's Acoustic Showcase on Tuesday Nights but not usually my night to go jam and if I do go jam it's to Parlor City for the blues jam.  Tom Giblin has really gone out of his way to get me to play drums on the songs and Dan Johnson keeps me locked in the inner groove.  In my tenure of playing there, they have sharpen my ability not to overplay but keep it simple and keep it tight.

Bryce Janey....what I can say about him that hasn't been said before.  His dad taught him a lot on guitar but he has become one of the best guitar blues players on the scene.  He did mention how he liked my drum playing after playing Dead Flowers, but he did a nice scat singing on On Broadway ala George Benson.  I only wished I could have played more songs with him.

However the two guys, Mark and Anderson both took lengthy guitar leads on the Olivia Groove, a song I remember only by the words Anderson sang was about Olivia.  And then another lengthy blues jam came and Dan sang some Jimmy Reed lyrics that turned into Baby What You Want Me To Do. For the first time in quite a while I jammed with Bob on harmonica.  I get a bit lax on the drumming and missed certain drum rolls but perhaps only me and Miles knew that.


It was the first time I jammed with Billy Bourbon who has popped up on the jam scene the past week and he did a speedy version of Dead Flowers, more faster than I'm used to.  But Dan coaxed me into playing the song with his bass playing.   Billy was responsible for On Broadway as well, and I think that was a bit more faster than George Benson's version but it all in good fun.


After which  a group of people complimented me on my playing to which I thanked them.  It's always to be humble and thank them when they made compliments.  Even in fun, I still like to play my best if and when I can.  The days of over the top drumming are over.  One of the guys actually gave me a three dollar tip.

Imagine that.  It was a paying gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.