Sunday 10 June 2018

Stone City Acoustic Showcase 6/10/18

Songs:

Knockin On Heaven's Door
Turn The Page

Listen To Love
The Race Is On
She Belongs To Me
Fox On The Run
Logic And Lies


Steve Black Wolf: Sang and played on Knocking and Turn The Page


Then

Proud Mary

With  Donna Joe and Lorie Parker
Steve and I sang bass vocals


(Lane Gaffney: Photo)

Then  Sat in With Angie Lambert-Cox singing her songs

Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms
Will The Circle Be Unbroken
You Ain't Going Nowhere
Wagon Wheel

With

Carl Meiners
Lorie Parker
Donna Jo Elsner
Sharon
Mike Fredericks

Plus:

Lane Gaffney
Bill Schlatter
Glen Gardner
Mike Moran
The Reddoors (Jared and Nicole)
Mike Elsner
Mike Serbousek and his brother
May and Janeen
Bart Bock



(Steve Black Wolf: Photo)

They say if you dress up, your performance will be ten times better.  I didn't believe that but I guess that is true.  Even the mistakes you don't notice that much. I still do though. Anyway the Sunday Stone City get together was spirited, I managed to dress up better than I usually do.  However I didn't do anything off Town's Edge Rock but started out with Listen To Love and ended it up Logic And Lies.  I played guitar to Steve's two song before my set and I do think I probably now wing it on Turn The Page.  I did four songs with Angie and Carl with Lorie and Donna Jo helping out, but can't think of the third one that we did.  Angie was a sweet woman, she asked me to help her out on her songs but I didn't know any of them but I should.  She gave me some new song ideals for anything new.  I can really do without Wagon Wheel but people were singing along with it.  So I had to go with it.

A surprise was seeing Mike Serbousek up there with his brother and we talked about drums of course.  Mike has been going through a rough time, but he was in good spirits.  It was the first time he got to hear me play guitar and sing.

Lane was surprised I didn't do Tulsa Time since it went over great the last time I was there. I didn't think we had the country crowd that was there last week so I didn't play it.

Glen gave me a watch, it was of a vinyl record and he thought it would look nice on me.  Thank you for the gift.

Another surprise was seeing Lorie Parker joining the Stone City faithful for today.  With Donna Jo, they did five songs of note including Let Me Be There and Proud Mary to which Steve and myself took the stage to sing the back up bass vocal. It was a hoot.

Of course Carl did Your Cheating Heart but with Donna Jo and Lorie in the house they added some more volume to the shout out of OH CARL when he got to the coda, you'll cry and cry and and call out my name  OH CARL!!!  Carl denies this but I know he turned three shades of red on his face.   It's all in good fun.

I enjoy the General Store but as with summertime coming around the flies are beginning to get thick inside the place.  I take issue when they constantly try to land on your food or glass. A couple of them found out the hard way it's best not to mess with me.




On Saturday Night, Julie and Dave played Ramsey's and since I'm going up to Madison next weekend I decided I had to forgo the Whittier Jam and support her cause.  This time out, she suggested about dressing better than my usual corduroys and T shit and I shocked her by dressing up, all the way down to dress socks and shoes.  I can't recall the last time I did that.  The look on her face was priceless, half shocked, half glad and really knocked out, it was like a celebration of us dating for a year  She made the initial move, and there was a few false starts but that's all water under the bridge.  For putting up with me for this long I found her a nice music necklace, to which she loved.   I think it looks good on her.  I guest starred on Gold Dust Woman, borrowing Dave's guitar and playing without a pick.  It was a short version but I had a couple came up to me and marveled how well I played.  So perhaps dressing up to play makes you sound better.  I never thought it that way.  With The Townedgers, I employed my look of ragged clothes and a tossed off attitude kinda worked in my favor.   Julie has always dressed up in her gigs, I know our date at The Class Act, I stood out like a sore thumb, She had a beautiful dress on, I wore a Doors T Shirt and black jeans (at least they weren't corduroy).  So I updated my clothes and shocked her.  I also shocked Carl and Mike in the process.  Carl went past me to talk to Steve and it took Mike about 15 minute to realize it was me.  

Perhaps I should surprise them more often then. ;)


Update: I got back from Madison and made it to the General Store but didn't play.  Angie didn't recognize me from our performance of last week but then again I didn't get dressed up for the occasion.  I'm sure she forgotten me after we did performed.  Story of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.