Thursday 24 January 2019

Artisan Sanctuary Open Mic Birthday Bash

Set list;

Please Don't Leave Me
Good Time Charlie
You'll Accompany Me
Go Out And Get It
Fox On The Run
Sundown
Logic And Lies
Stop Draggin My Heart Around
Gold Dust Woman


(Patrick Lower: Photo)

With
Julie Gordon-Vocals on the last two songs




NOTES:
58 years ago, my mom had a chili dinner which didn't agree with her which set off a journey into the open for me.  It's the only time I was early for anything and I've been paying for it ever since.  I did spend the afternoon with Mom at Perkins, having the Grand Slam Breakfast and paying for it afterwards.

Julie and I then spent the evening having a salad supper at Ramsey's before going over to the Sanctuary for the open mic.  Ron LaFleur and Dakota McWhorter were in attendance.    They were also at Ramsey's too, trying to score some gigs.  To which I might help out on a Saturday Night.  Provided if the GD temps get out of below zero.

Australia has 115 degree summers, we're having -30 windchill nights and this crap is becoming too commonplace.  If anything, I don't have any gigs this weekend.  But I do hate this cold crap and we have been stuck in the fucking icebox for now a whole week.

It was the first time Julie did the Artisan open mic ever. She was in a feisty mood, leading off with Stealing Time and She's a Beauty and Hey Yeah, before ending on Don't You Forget About Me.

Ron and Dakota did their set without my participation on drums, there weren't any. They did about eight songs, most of the stuff that I have been working with them.  They did a fine job. Ron's wife Fran also braved the cold.  But they all left before Julie came up to do the encore numbers. Too bad they left, Julie nailed Gold Dust Woman and set everybody home happy.

While I help play percussion for Boy Scout Hippies and Dreams Of Arcadia, there's a bit of competition between us.   Ron is passionate about his music, and so am I.   He has the swagger to stake out gigs,  I look at my music as an expressionistic hobbyist. Would my songs be any help to Ron and Dakota's band, hard to say. While Ron was making the pitch to the owner of Ramsey's (and he did score a couple gigs), I stayed out of what they were doing.  It's their band and I'm a substitute. If Julie decided to pitch the Acousta Crabbys we would have to work big time to get the songs ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.