Tuesday 29 January 2019

Thoughts From The Townedger-January Edition

This month has been a big ole grey suck with all the snow and cold.  I'm not making any money staying at home and it has impacted all of my gigs this month.  With the event of Sunday being canceled due to yet another snowstorm and fifty below windchill time for me to make some observations of the month.




I had a very good birthday, spending it with Julie who managed to get me to smile in awkward situations.  The Artisan Sanctuary Jam was her first. hopefully not the last.  Her main gig still remains with Ryan and Dreams Of Arcadia, and yes we discussed about doing that long rumored duo known as the Acousta Crabbies but I would have a better name, Jules n Crabby comes to mind, Crabbtones was mentioned in jest.  The more I think about it, I'd love to use the Wapsipinicon Dreamers name.



The situation with Boy Scout Hippies is different, it's a temporary gig for me to sit in on percussion and help Ron n Dakota.  By all means it remains their band.  Ron does a reputation, he's very opinionated and not in a good way. I have worked with him for two months, so far so good.  But I know he will show off his bad side.  He's been good and has come through in paying me fairly good for a three hours work.  I just don't have the time to really give him more than the committed time. I'm not sure how many drummers have played in his band, but I do think I'm the 7th or 8th one in two years.  Bass players seem to run away.  I give the man credit, he has a great stage presence and I can connect with him on the rockers.   He and Dakota will eventually head out to New York for a month or so and get things going, but I will not be a part of that.  I'll continue to help Boy Scout Hippies till the Aces And Eights March 16th gig.   Or till his patience runs thin.  Or mine.  Whichever comes first.


(She's still a beauty)

I have things to do with The Townedgers,  I also have to make time for Julie as well.  I don't know if our chemistry is as strong as it is with Ryan, or memorable as she had with Kyle.  I'm different in style and substance.  I tend to sing more depressing songs than she does.  She's versed in bar band songs that people would like to hear (Brown Eyed Girl, Wagon Wheel) and dance to, I'm into the alternative and avant garde.  Certainly Julie has been exposed to a lot of off the wall bands from Kyle, but my music exceeds farther than his. 40,000 albums and cds and 45s over 55 years has broaden my musical knowledge.  I'd love Julie to really explore the music that I hear, as well as my original songs and ideals and have us grow together, but I will not force that issue on her.  If she's disinterested in my original songs, then it might be an issue.   For Julie And The Mad Dogs, Mike still remains the drummer at hand  tho' Kevin Michel is more interested in playing in the C R Dicks band.  She'd love to steal Dakota back from Ron.



(Photo: Bunny Ranch Productions)

Ever since the beginning of this musical blog adventure has always been about Russ n I reuniting with John Field as the New Paraphernalia Band.  We talk about it but talk is cheap and John Field is not in the best of health.  We can't return back 13 years in John's basement for an afternoon of rock jams and Russ really hasn't been that enthused either.  So until it happens, we're better off just leaving it alone.

Coming in the summer, some gigs with Sirenz, with Cathy Hart, Lorie Parker and Barb Myers, who asked me about wanting to do this.  Well, why not?  Cathy and Lorie have always been very supportive about my acoustic guitar playing and Tim Canfield is a hall of famer.  Everybody was part of Replay, which played a few dates before imploding.  Not sure why that happened but I suspect one of the members threw a tirade and took his stuff and went home.  I'm surprised Randy Faulkner wasn't tapped to play drums.

Olivia looks stunning after all these years and she'll always been dear to my heart.  It's tempting to post her latest picture but I think posting one recent picture is enough.  She wasn't crazy about dating a musician in the first place, it was bad enough when she took me to the record stores when we were dating back then. The drums and all them cymbals was the last straw.  We had some good times back then tho'.

On another subject.  It' might be 23 below right now but it's a summer day compared to my lost weekend with Isabella in 2001.   Hope she's still doing well.


(Leo Kottke Today-Or a future picture of myself 15 years from now)

As we get older, the hair on top of our hair gets thinner and goes south and the need to shave every other day arises.  I hate shaving and I hate the 54 whisker hairs that live on my adams' apple and proceeds to get caught in coat zipper every fucking time.  I have noticed a lot of my musical friends and musicians decide to look the dapper beard master.  Fate would probably have me become a bearded hippie like my brother and dad.  I'm not in favor of that, after 5 days these hair itch like a son of a bitch.  But since we have a minus 25 degree temp this afternoon, I am going have to brave the mountain man look.  This polar blast I hate with a passion, especially when the car won't start, but I've been through this shit before and will do so again and again, till I decide to go back to Arizona and stay there where it doesn't snow and get cold.   But I'm resigned to the fact that I will probably die here before I decide to move. As for the bearded look, that'll be me in 2035.  If I'm still around.

Til next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.