Sunday 13 January 2019

Stone City Acoustic Showcase And Boy Scout Hippies At Waubeek.

Stone City songlist

Ever So Much
Sundown
Go Out And Get It
The Race Is On


Aaron Caryl: Fiddle



(Jim Jacobmeyer; Photo)

Saturday Night I made my debut on drums for the Boy Scout Hippies in Waubeek on a three month trail run.  I have discussed playing for Ron and Dakota in years past but they do have a way of going through drummers and I think I'm the 9th or 10th one that they had. I won't be the last but I think we had a good time despite the shitty weather and icy roads.  We did have 40 people braved the roads to hang around in the four and half hour gig that we played, plenty of breaks tho'.  It was needed.


(A rare photo of your's truly smiling,  that does happen once in a great while)

Ron is a hard driving performer.  He really gets into the music, to which I had to keep a sharp eye on the breaks and where we was leading it.  Dakota has blossomed into a decent lead guitar player and backing vocalist and Callie comes up to spell Ron on the Lucinda Williams numbers  Perhaps the highlight was the first version of Graciously, and a radical punk ending to Can't You See with plenty of drum rolls and cymbals crashes.  Ron said it was the first time anybody kept up with him on that song. That sez a lot considering he had some great drummers in that band.

For Spinal Tap moments, there were plenty. After the rousing ending to Can't You See, I had all of my drum rings go flying off the snare and toms and the GD snare stand collasped leaving the snare into my lap.  It also unhinged the bass drum to the point that it kept moving on me the last two sets.  It got fucking tiring to see my bass petal leaning one way and the bass drum the other.  The best cymbal stand I had also got loose and collapsed the cymbal.  I should consider just bringing the DW drum petal and stands next time I play.

Of course, there's the usual drunk dude who got on the table to dance only to come off falling since his chair had a broken leg and he went flying on the floor.  I didn't think much of the dude coming afterward and pounding on the drums and cymbals afterwards.  If I had my K's with me, I would have kicked his can but the guy didn't know where he was at anyway.



Katy Merrifield and Danny Dias were special guests.  Katy is to the left.

I returned back to Stone City the next day, still tired from the effects of playing last night and did four extended songs with Aaron playing fiddle.  It saved me wear and tear on the vocals.   Terry McCauley was up there along with Dave Bonham, Maki Dervo, Angie, Sharon, Bill Schlatter and Sue Ellen, who didn't have Carl Meiners helping her, he being in Arizona with Glen Gardner.  They got out just in time for the snows to hit.  And we had our first major winter storm of the winter season.  To which we got 5 inches of the white crap.   And in the meantime, our water pump went out, so we have no running water at our place.  And we have no working toilet as well.  So I ate light. This make me wish for a porta potty just in case but hopefully we can get our water pump working again.   I just hate the fact that a unworking well water pump had to happen in the dead of wintertime.

Next gig is at Swisher at Dance Mor with Dreams Of Arcadia and Four Day Creep.  And the weather forecast is more fucking snow.  It never fails.  Seems like when I have a paying gig in Dec-Jan, it has to either, A) Snow, B) Ice, C) Rain,  D) Cold or E) all of the above. And I'm not liking this one fucking bit.

All photos were taken by The Artisan Sanctuary, Jim Jacobmeyer.  I eventually found these on my own a few months later.  Preserved for historical value.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.