Thursday 10 January 2019

The Glorious Return of Acousta Crabby 1/10/19

Artisan Sanctuary Setlist:

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
Branded Man
Good Time Charlie
Ole 55
Go Out And Get It
Sundown
Logic And Lies
If You See Her



With:
Katy Merrifield-Backing vocals on Sundown
Freddy Jones-Harmonica

Photos by Jim Jacobmeyer



NOTES:

A surprise visit to the Sanctuary since I was dealing with a slight cold and took the day off work.  I don't figure we were that busy at work anyway and I did take a 2 and an half hour nap before coming out.   The other jammers, were Gregdon, Virginia, Stu Pershing, Darryl and Phil plus Katy and Freddy doing a long version of You Ain't Going Nowhere to finish things up.  Backstage, I was playing along with Stuart on his version on Fire On The Mountain.  Since he has a very early job, he has to leave and get up in the morning around 3 AM.  Which, usually is the time I go to bed.

Again, the majority of songs have been the ones that I have been playing at various acoustic jams.  Branded Man was the only song I haven't played much of late but since I was in a GCD mode, it came in handy. Stop Draggin My Heart Around was led off simply of the fact I had the lyric sheet in front of me.  Julie would have come in handy but she was working tonight and I'm beginning to get a feel on singing it from a male perspective better nowadays.



Katy returned to the Sanctuary for the first time in quite a while, she's a regular of the Whittier Acoustic Showcase and she is basically a true hippy folk singer, down the foot tambourines.  She was dealing with a cold of her own but she sang and played great.  She did two Ozark Mountain Daredevils songs, Standing On A Rock and You Made It Right.

I have to thank Jim for allowing me to play 8 songs on this night.  Usually I do 4 or 5 but we didn't have many jammers, Glen Gardner and Carl Meiners took off to Arizona for a couple months.  Out of all the venues that I played at, Jim has been supportive of the music that is thrown out there.   With the exception of the New Years's Eve show with Dreams Of Arcadia, I haven't done much guitar playing and singing, I've been busy practicing with Ron and Dakota with Boy Scout Hippies in preparation for the FB Company gig with them, as well with Dreams Of Arcadia.  Thankfully, I knew the songs well enough tonight to do a passable job, tho' I did drop my guitar pick on Good Time Charlie and had to use my thumb to strum along.

I also haven't done much originals outside of Logic N Lies and If You See Her.  Jim requested one last original and I went with If You See Her.  I'm drawing a blank on the others I could have done but since those two songs have been standard material the past couple months, I decided to do them.

Virginia used to go to Checker's to play at Acoustic jams but when she got slighted by the songs she wanted to play, she quit going.  It was the first time that I've seen her since her last Checkers' sighting.

The Artisan Sanctuary is a great place to play the originals and fine tune them.  Jim lets me have the freedom to experiment with them, for better or for worse.  I enjoy the positive feedback for the songs that I do and this keeps me going to play the next acoustic jam, where ever it may be.   And it is fun as always.  I've never had a bum performance there at all.

Replay, the retro 60s dance pop band featuring Lorie Parker, Barb Myers, Bart Carfizzi, Tim Canfield and Randy Faulker (Scott Sanborn MC host) have put themselves on hiatus and probably are done as a band.  I have a sneaking suspicion what happened but cannot say without getting the facts straight or hurting somebody's feelings if I did say something. Bands come and go around here, especially when you have jobs, family etc etc but if somebody isn't playing up to par and can't or won't change then it's a wasted effort.  Usually the weakest link is probably the one that ranting and raving all the time on social media.  I got to see Replay a couple times during their last set and thought they sounded great and made good use of Scott Sanborn as the MC or DJ, tho' he did spell Randy on drums while Randy sang.  And they did draw good crowds too.   Perhaps they'll return (Stay tuned) but me thinks that they did their last gig sorry to say.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.