Wednesday 20 February 2019

Checker's Acoustic Showcase-Vertigo

Songs:

Jolene
Old Time Rock N Roll
Rainbow In The Dark
Bobby McGee
Good Time Charlie
Cinnamon Girl
You'll Accompany Me
Fox On The Run
Let's Work Together

With
Ryan Paul-Harmonica on Bobby McGee, Piano on Rainbow In The Dark and Old Time RNR
Julie Gordon-Lead vocal on Jolene,  Old Time RNR, Rainbow, Percussion on Work Together
Ed Butler-Guitar on Jolene and Old Time Rock N Roll


The past couple days I've been dealing with a sort of vertigo, which started Monday and got to the point that my place of employment had to call rescue to send me to the ER room and then back home again the same day.  I have to say the folks at St Lukes did a fine job of getting me on my feet.  Or so it seems.

They told me to stay home but like any musician I had to get back out there and against the wishes of the smarter kind helped out Julie and Ryan.  Due to another snowstorm, only Ed and one other guy showed up.  In hindsight I should have stayed home but I knew Julie would have wanted me to help them out.

I wasn't feeling the best and wasn't looking the best.  This time out my performance was very rough. Julie played the congas on Work Together.  Ryan banged on them on Bobby McGee and Fox On The Run.

Vertigo is not fun to have, especially during playing live.  The disoriented feeling and watching the stage spin on you which kinda made a short night for me to play.  I took a nap before going, which I thought would help but sad to say my nose decided to run, so I didn't get much nap time anyway.

Once again, we got another 6 inches of the white shit we call snow and another big storm coming this weekend, just in time for the Grove gig.  I cannot win during this winter tour of gigs and am so fucking sick of dealing with shit weather, nobody showing up and now vertigo.   It's a good bet that the next storm will give us the most snowiest February on record.  To which I give a big middle finger to Mother nature and the powers to be that decided we needed all this fucking snow.  And being in a bad mood due to this snowstorm crap did affect my playing tonight. I don't think I was even there, in body but not in soul.  But from what I heard, I did pretty well considering the circumstances tonight.

Dealing with Vertigo (Part 1)

I was listening to Anders Osborne's Peace album driving on the way to home when all of a sudden the songs begin to sound weird and things were blurry.  When I looked to the right I felt I was ready to pass out.  But I was driving so I had to fight that and keep going to work. Somehow, I made it, but I couldn't walk straight.  I felt drunk, not aware of my surroundings.  Kathy had to help me to the desk to clear my thoughts, but I was in a state of confusion and panic.   So I laid down on the hard floor trying to get right but after an hour they called the Area Ambulance and I ended up going to St Lukes.

The usual crap, getting signed in, damn paramedic couldn't find my vein for IV and poked another vein and that collasped.  The guy wasn't doing it right, no wonder I hate going to hospitals and getting blood work.  Got to the ER, they wanted payment up front, told em bill me later and they gave me the bill and envelope, they paid postage, how sweet of them to do that.  Anyway, they gave me a couple wonder drugs and I took a catnap till they released me and gave me a cab back to work, for me to pick up my car. The ER doctor told me to take two days off and no driving. (heheheh).  Once I got home I stayed there, till the next day and practiced a couple hours with Ron and Dakota, then came back home and slept most of the day away. And then on Wednesday, felt the need to go support Julie and Ryan's Jam.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.