Wednesday 13 February 2019

The Limited Return Of The Checkers Acoustic Showcase

Songs played

All Along The Watchtower
Wedding Song (there is love)
Greenback Dollar
Sundown
Go Out And Get It
Ole' 55
The Last Time

Hosts;
Julie Gordon and Tommy Bruner

With
Ryan Paul
Ed Butler
Donna Jo
DJ and Kimberly Kay Hovenstot

I was at the Anamosa Fareway, where two of the elderly couple who go to the Stone City Acoustic Sunday Jam came up to pay me a compliment, saying they enjoyed my songs that I played the other day.  It made me smile before the snowstorm and drifting and blowing snow kept me indoors for the next two days.

The Checker's Jam has return on a month long trial run.  PJ decided to give the jam to Julie in a four week run.  The weather played a big role in people not showing up.   Even the star power of Tommy Bruner, we couldn't draw flies.  But we gave it a good effort.

Wedding Song finally made its debut.  I thought the song went well.

I didn't think about using Julie, or Ryan or Donna Jo, tho' Donna Jo was disappointed that she didn't get to play and sing along with me. I couldn't find a song for Ryan to play harmonica with either.  I figured I'd give Julie a break from playing the same songs that we sing together.

For some reason I kept my orange winter hat on during the set.  I had a bad hair day.

I gave Julie her Valentine's Day gifts a day early.  I didn't think we would see each other tomorrow, or I could have waited till Saturday on our date to do that.  Since she was up at Checker's I figured just to get it over with.  I gather that she did like them.

The Office Lounge remake day that got canceled, Joan, the manager gave that  to Ron and Dakota.  I figured that would happen but I told Ron I couldn't do it due to the Saturday date night that I had planned with Julie, to go see some new age flute player and a person who painted stuff.  Julie was more into that than me, which was why I bought the tickets in the first place.  This might have put a strain in my relationship with her or Ryan for that matter.  Canceling a gig and then the make up, but the make up was done after I bought the tickets Saturday Night.  The V day gift to Julie was probably more then the payoff from the gig.  Or a while they might excuse me from the Grove Gig next Saturday.  But I do commend Ron for being straightforward about letting me know bout the gigs he gets.

And for their effort and Patchy Fog canceling out, Julie and Ryan got rewarded with the Checker's Friday Night Gig from 7-10.  Like Ron and Dakota's Office Lounge gig, I will be incognito.  I have to work my regular job that night.

A certain exchange between a Boyscout Master and the Acousta King

AK-RALDO SCHNEIDER @ The Stone City General Store Feb 16th has been cancelled. Unfortunately due to the up-and-coming a foul weather Saturday into Sunday we have decided that is for the best interest of the General Store & Musicians and live music supporters to cancel the show for this Saturday. Raldo has been rescheduled for April 13th. Sorry for any inconvenience. But I feel it is better to be safe than sorry

BM- Still feel sorry bad for any band cancelled due to a "possible" 2 inches of snow. Sometimes, specially with certain venues, a band needs a signed contract that covers unwarranted cancellation. This is a clear example of that situation. It's also why I will not play certain venues in the area that have little to no respect for musicians. And so it goes...

AK-the reason I cancelled Raldo Schneider is out of respect for him and his fans who will be traveling some distance to the General Store. All of them are loyal to Raldo and feel obligated to show up for the show fair weather or foul weather.

BM-Sir, there's the net isn't it? That "better safe than sorry" mentality kind of covers every single situation that could ever comes up, doesn't it. Thank God, explorers and artists don't feel the same way. Too deep? Sorry. No Disrespect intended. 

AK-LOL, no disrespect intended? A word of advice for you. Speak when spoken to. Goodbye BM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.