Sunday 10 February 2019

Weekend Gigs-Waubeek/Stone City

Saturday Night it was The Boy Scout Hippies back at F B Company in Waubeek, and tho' we had no major snowstorm, the crowd was less than last month.  Danny Dias, played harmonica on Hungry Heart, Summer played tamborine and Jim Jacobmeyer showed up with M.J. for the first couple sets.

It was a fun night but Ron wasn't in the best of moods, especially when the owner short changed and didn't pay the extra 75 dollars promised for last month's gig.  He wasn't pleased with the card game in the back.  However he did pay as promised and I made 125 dollars plus tips.  The most I made ever at a gig.

It was a year ago  that I took Julie up to Whittier for the Acoustic Showcase and in the process she made her debut there.  Plus The EGADS were there.  Belinda and Mark and Tim and Rose were there.  I do miss the Whittier Acoustic Jam; but I do admit that it has been fun playing drums for Ron n Dakota.  Plus it pays better.

Lot of bands were playing that night.  Four Day Creep was at Aces N Eights, The Pork Tornadoes was at the Paramount,  Mike Serbousek's band Cocked N Loaded was playing.

Jim did mentioned that nobody showed up at the Artisan Open Mic Thursday Night due to the weather.  I sat out too, however around 10 PM  Julie called and said that Ryan's flight got canceled in CR and so he had to take a different one to Dubuque.  I told her to meet us at Springville and I'll go get him.  Needless to say 151 wasn't all that great, some white out conditions and black ice on the Wapsi River Bridge before Shooters.  And the Airport entrance was solid ice.  However I managed to get there, just as Ryan came into the airport and we listened to Louis Jordan along the way, to which Ryan fell asleep.  We beat Julie by about 10 minutes at the Casey's in Springville.   Going back home, Springville Rd  was 100 percent ice.  But we all made it back home okay.

Ron's wife was not very pleased with him when he left without her.  That might explain the big mushroom cloud I saw out east of here before 2 AM.  Woman logic 101, always tell your woman goodbye before you head home at a gig.  She'll let you know how she feels about that when she gets home.


Stone City Acoustic Showcase Set list 2/10/19

Six Days On The Road
Switchboard Susan
Logic And Lies
Go Out And Get It
Greenback Dollar
Long Black Veil

Encore:

Everybody's Talking
You'll Accompany Me
Woman/Listen To Love

Another snowstorm, another short crowd and a rare encore of three songs.

The cancellation of the Dreams Of Arcadia at the Office Lounge in Monticello was the reason why I did the Stone City Showcase.  The roads were too wicked to go into town and I'm sure the Rumors Sunday Funday Jam had some great jammers.  Stone City had Guy Petersen, Dan Dias, Dave Bonham, Mike Frederick, Maki Dervo and Lane Gaffney joining me.  Ron LaFluer joined later and he did admit that his wife was not happy with him leaving her behind last night.  As I originally mentioned  from last night's thoughts.  (Read above)

Long Black Veil made it's debut.  I was going to save Good Time Charlie for last and have Dan played harmonica but he decided to leave before I got back up there.  For some reason I tried to segment Woman Sensuous Woman into Listen To Love but couldn't find the melody to that so I threw some choice words to make it seem like a song.  I think I'm getting good at improvising songs now.

Dave Bonham asked about if I was interested into helping his band this summer and I said okay.  I wouldn't mind helping him out.  That makes four bands I'm not into, DOA, Boy Scout Hippies, Sirenz and Dave's band and of course The Townedgers.  The TEs are basically me,sometimes Geoff Redding and not exactly a touring band.

DOA did secluded the make up date of canceled Sunday show,  This Saturday, which was the night that I got tickets to see Journey Of The Heart, a band playing at the Mockingbird in Marion to take Julie to see.  An honest mistake of course.  It was to be a surprise but I now feel bad that Julie had to cancel the make up date.  Or did she?  I don't know.  Whatever the case it means DOA is still free to play that night, But I am still going to  see Journey Of The Heart at the Mockingbird, tho' it was supposed to be a Valentine's Day gift for her.  Maybe it might open my eyes to see something different.

If that ain't enough we have yet another snow storm on the highway of snowstorms coming through the area to dump another foot or two of the white shit, but nobody can't escape this.  Not Seattle, not Tehachapi, not St Louis, or Arizona or Bangor Michigan.  Austrailia is getting drowned in floods and rain and 115 temps and here we are on one of the busiest snowstorms in about 12 years.  I know it's winter but this is ridiculous and just when I got the Corsica out of the snow drifts here comes yet another storm.  I think we are all just sick of this shit but you can't escape it.  Ain't good weather out there, just crap.   And they said it was going to be a short winter.

Yeah right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.