Sunday 22 September 2019

Rumors-Al Hendricks Birthday Bash

Songs:

Me N Bobby McGee
Proud Mary
Born On The Bayou
Gold Dust Woman/The Chain


Dee Vieman-Lead vocals
Billy Bourbon-Guitar and backing vocals
Tommy Bruner-Guitar
Randy Burgendorf-Bass
R.Smith-Drums
Skeeter Louis Hughes-Saxophone On Gold Dust Woman/The Chain

Terry McDowell-Host

With:
Al Hendricks, George Melichar, Quaker Dan, Drum Shop Mike, Joe Hutchcroft, Brenda Snow, Ann Mishmash, Greg Nost, Jeff Overly, Nick Lnenicka, Kraig Spratt, Herman Sarduy, Scott Sanborn and his lovely wife, Sonya Adair, Cha Cha, Della McWhorney, Tim Canfield  Jeffery Brown, his daughter, Tami Soukup and others.

(dedicated to the memory of Art Willard)


Notes:

It was Al's show as he played for about 50 minutes with the band featuring a clean shaven Scott Sanborn playing drums.    With plenty of drummers at the place, I ended up helping out Dee and her usual song selection.  I have no complaints about my drumming tonight. I think I'm beginning to play to a slower song level.

While I didn't talk to Brenda (Joe did come over to say Hi), I did catch them dancing on a couple songs that were played.  Joe took over for me after my set.  Kraig Spratt entertained the gang with a couple of drum solos.  At that time Tim Canfield joined me for a few.  We did look at each other funny when the Wildcat decided on a slower speed on Crossroads and One Way Out.  Even his interpretation of Sunshine Of Your Love was very un-Ginger Baker like.  Tim likes to pop up to check on what's happening but he seldom plays live.  I knew he wouldn't hang after I got up to play.

Jeff Overly was there but had to cut out due to school tomorrow.  He was supposed to play along with Karl Hudson at Aces n Eights but that got rained out.  

Scott Sanborn went to Nashville on vacation and said while Nashville has some pretty good musicians, that this area has some of the top notch players in town and he was amazed on how I can play guitar and sing and drums as well.  Scott is a good guy and a very interesting drummer.  I told Scott if you can follow the musicians and see who is doing what that you too can be like me.  I agree with him that this area has some great musicians but also plenty of places to jam at.  I wouldn't think of quitting my job to play all over again but as long as I have fun with this and keep the beat and make people dance and the musicians happy then it's all worth it.

There was a guy outdoors playing guitar but didn't get to play.

I did wish Al a happy birthday and tho we didn't get to play (and nobody bothered to take a picture of us as of this writing) but we got to chat a while before he went on stage.  Skeeter Louis played sax most of the night, Jeff Overly did till he had to leave at 6.  

Next week, it's the Wildcat's birthday bash.  He's turning 65 next Sunday and Terry mentioned about bringing out the full drums and cymbals on that jam.

Finally, Greg Mein had to go to the hospital for Sepsis.  I hope he gets well soon.  I miss jamming with him and Brenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.