Sunday 15 September 2019

Rumors-The Big Bash

Songs:

Promised Land
The Bottle Let Me Down
Oh Lonesome Me
Back To Chicago
Truck Driving Man
Nadine
Wonderful Tonight
Chains
Ain't No Sunshine
Born On The Bayou
Simple Man
Walking After Midnight
Bring It On Home To Me
The Twist
Got My Mojo Working
Suzie Q
Proud Mary
Folsom Prison Blues
Dreams
Gold Dust Woman/The Chain


Al Hendricks-Lead Vocal and guitar on songs 1, 2, 4-6
Dan Hartman-Lead vocals on 3, 9, Guitar on 1-9
Randy Burgendorf-Bass on all tracks, lead vocal on 9
Billy Bourbon-Guitar on 7-20, Lead vocal 8
Dee Vieman-Lead Vocal 10-12, 16-20
Nick Lnenicka-Harmonica on various tracks
Ernest Bynum-Lead vocal-13-15
Tommy Bruner-Guitar on 10-20
R.Smith-Drums all tracks
Terry McDowell-Host

With;
Ann Mishmash, Tami Soukup, Tom Berdo, George Menichar, Sonya Adair, Tim Canfield, Glen Balkman, Della McWhorney and the rest of the Rumors crowd. And Tim Kauffman too.

Notes:

Some days you have drummers, some days you don't.  Terry was very liberal about giving me plenty of jamming time with the Mandela Effect and of course Bird giving out advice and coaching me along the way.  In fact Terry would have like for me to play a few more songs with Al on stage but Al plowed into two more songs before he could get off the stage.  Tim Kauffman was the only other drummer beside Terry and myself.  But I basically gave Terry the night off.  God bless him for the ample time and the songs.

Of course Billy had to do Wonderful Tonight.  I think he did another song that I didn't include but can't think what it would have been.

Ernest popped up later and of course we had to do his songs and of course the place came alive with The Twist, Ann and Della were both twisting with Ernest on those songs.  I don't know what it is with Ernest but he always brings a smile to my face when he sings.

I still cannot get into how slow they do Proud Mary or Susie Q,  It's always been quite fast for me when I play it, but then again I'm not in my late 60s either.  I have to really lean on Bird to let me know if I'm dragging or speeding it up.  Usually it's the latter.  Tim says he prefers a drummer that plays fast than a slowed down drummer.  On the problematic Wonderful Tonight I fighting to keep awake that slowed beat.  Bird really helped me in finding my way to play a slower tempo and stay on the ONE as he always reminds me.

Al did do about ten songs tonight, four with Terry and six with me.  He says he is getting used to me after all this time. LOL.

There really wasn't much jammers there tonight.  Kimberley and David opted to go to Stone City and Belinda stayed home.  I thought Belinda would join us but since she played Whittier last night she was resting up.  I thought if I got done early I could join the Stone City faithful but Terry said if I wanted to hang around and play some more that would be fine.  So I did that instead and finished with 20 songs that I know of.   The record was 22 last December.

With ACT week, there will not be any week night jams.  I need to start working a full week and get a full check.  I've been part time since late June and while the bills have been paid, there's a bit of strain on the finances.  I did get paid for Friday and the Waubeek jam but 100 dollars for both gigs don't go a long way anymore.  Especially when I have stuck with the GD coughing issues this summer.

Once we do get busy, I will focus on other things.  I'm sure Billy and Tommy wouldn't complain too over that.   Being sick, my guitar playing has taken a hit.  I barely did the job last night.  I wasn't too sold on Stone City tonight so I didn't bring my guitar afterwards.  

To be honest I enjoy playing alongside Tommy N Billy but they probably think I'm too undisciplined for them, I don't play it by the record.  But I love jamming with Bird, he knows what rocks and what doesn't and is not afraid to reel me back into a slower groove.  I don't know if I will accomplish that before I'm dead and gone but I am making some strives into playing a slower groove and not rush.  Hard to do but it can be done with a bit more discipline.

For today, I ended up getting a Shingles shot so I don't get that virus anytime soon.  My shoulder did get sore after the first set but it didn't alter my playing.  But it did make me feel tired through the whole jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.