Sunday 1 September 2019

Stone City-Dragonflies and Swallows

Fox On The Run
Summertime Blues
I Fought The Law
Cinnamon Girl

With;
Richard Budde on drums

Plus

Long Black Veil
Paradise
Long Hard Road
Your Cheating Heart
Will The Circle Be Unbroken
Rolling In My Sweet Baby's Arms
You Ain't Going Nowhere
Wagon Wheel (pfft)

with

Carl Meiners
Danny Dias
Mike Fredericks
Angie Marie Cox
Richard Budde

I would love to enjoy this time of year, it usually is my favorite time of year.  This year I have been dealing with Bronchitis and Walking Phenomena  on a daily basis.  I can't recall a year that I have to deal with this shit day in and day out.  Once I feel I'm getting better, I catch the fucking crap again and then I'm down for the count.  Today I was out in the garden with the morning glories and watching the sky fill up with dragonflies, the estimate is around 1000 in the area, but also about 30 barn swallows having a feast of their own.  The cycle of life and death.

When your are stuck with this bronchitis shit, you are continuing to hack and cough at any moment.  It plays havoc in playing live and taking copious amounts of cold meds and zinc have not helped.   I haven't seen Julie for fear of having her catching this all over again.  So for the most part, my life is waking up at 11, hang at the computer or go over songs till 2 and take another nap and wake up and get ready to head to Stone City or Rumors if I feel like it.  And for today, I stayed close to home and went to Stone City.

Basically it was a short set.  I did five songs with Carl before doing a very short four song 10 minute appearance with Richard on drums.  That rare occasion that I have another drummer backing me up. That doesn't happen at Rumors, I am usually backing people up on drums.  I really had no general idea of what to play and I had my book of songs but opted not to use them, rather than go with the ones I know, to which they continue to pop up week end and week out.

Dave  Bonham hosted in place of Lane Gaffney and we talked a bit about the chaos of the Cabin Jam. But I told him it's all right.  A lot of folks got drunk and bickered with each other.  Dealing with the usual post nasal drip crap, I wasn't feeling all that well and almost sneezed during one song.  Richard requested something by Ricky Nelson but we settled on Summertime Blues. He did well on the breaks during I Fought The Law and followed according to the riff to Fox On The Run.    Other people did the songs I usually do, Carl did Long Black Veil, Angie on You Ain't  Going Nowhere and Dave took over Everybody's Talking and For What It's Worth. Since I forgo going to Rumors, I ended up helping Angie on her songs, the usual four numbers.  Dave concluded with a half hour set of his songs.

For the Rumors' side of things  Julie and Ryan showed up and the wildcat was there.  There's some videos that she recorded.  Looked like a good time was had by all.  After the Stone City thing was over, I just went home and took more cold meds and gas relief pills, to which none of them have worked yet.

My next drug: Fematryl and Jack Daniels.  I'm serious about  this.  Cure me or kill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.