Sunday 17 November 2019

Stone City/Rumors; Foggy Notion

Stone City Songlist: Host Lane Gaffney

Fox On The Run
For What Its Worth
Everybody's Talking
Logic And Lies
Cinnamon Girl

Plus four songs with Carl Meiners on vocals and guitar
I played rhythm and sang a bit.

Paradise
Long Hard Road
North To Alaska
Your Cheating Heart


And Rumors Jam

With  Terry McDowell,  and Tommy Bruner host

with

Randy Swift-Lead guitar and vocals
Randy Burghdorff -Bass and vocals on Going Down and Roadhouse Blues
Morris-Guitar
Dave Bonham-Lead guitar and vocals
Nick Lnenicka-Harmonica
Randy's GF sang on Love Me Like A Man
Billy Bourbon-sang on One Way Out.
This Blogger on drums

Songs included

Roadhouse Blues
Fool For Your Stockings
I Walked To Dallas
Buddy Guy Blues Thingy
Love Me Like A Man
Going Down
The Sky Is Crying
Stormy Monday
Keep Your Hands To Yourself
One Way Out


(Billy Bourbon: Photo)

A little bit of everything tonight.  Started out at Stone City and played to a pretty receptive audience, one woman was singing along to For What Its Worth and everybody had a good time.  I later made it up to Rumors to play the final hour.  Usual shenanigans, but I had Bird cracking up over hitting the dinner bell cymbal at the end of the last few songs.  Bird mentioned that he did record the songs played last week and was floored on how well we played Dreams I'll Never See Again.  He might be right, it might be the best version of that ever.  That's saying a lot.

Lane is still hosting the Stone City jam, he decided to lose the FB page and can't blame him for that.  I ended up backing Carl on his set.  It was rough in spots but I kinda followed though on his finale Your Cheating Heart, with the Stone City Faithful, yelling out OH CARL in the bridge.   I have bailed on Carl the last couple Stone City jams, but I wanted to help him out, since he asked.

Ron and Dakota were up there at Rumors beforehand.    As far as I know there was one more drummer playing this week outside of me and Terry.  But I still managed to play almost a full hour. Not bad considering that I had a full day playing at both jams.

The vertigo issues that started this year is beginning to effect the way that I play.  After doing a couple of jump blues we went into a rough blues of Love Me Like A Man but I couldn't relate to the beat that's is heard on Rock Me Baby (BB King) or I Pity The Fool (Bobby Blues Bland) and way playing still a jump shuffle which was off the wall and not exactly to the beat of the song.   In a odd sort of way it did sound like part of the song but I know when I'm off, I'm really off but hardly anybody noticed, except perhaps Bird.   Out of the the bass players that I have jammed with, he's the most disciplinarian sort of bass player who's best at the slowed down songs in order for me to  hang with him.  It's usually a crawl but I find it a welcome challenge.  Anybody can play fast, but the best know how to keep a slow beat. Or have their rhythm partner play that slowed down riff.    At times I can't figure what Bird is hearing in his mind and it clashes with mine but once I found what he's looking for, it's a blast.


The weather was typical November, cloudy, foggy and misting drizzle.  But at least it wasn't snow.

After the Rumors jam, I chatted with Morris, the quiet guitarist that played off the side of the stage and he asked about Julie not being a part of the jams.  We both agreed that she was the best vocalist on the female side and perhaps in the future she'll return.  I know I haven't done much with Julie lately, we kinda gone in different directions music wise but she's still a part of this life.  The Variety show that was to take place yesterday got canceled since Ryan pissed off the comedian.  Dreams Of Arcadia still has a few dates remaining, but there is no word about my participation on percussion.  Julie will lobby for me to play in Monticello but if that happens, I will have to forgo the Rumors jam since its in town.    In other words, another wait and see event.

PS.  Cathy Hart and Lorie Parker had a acoustic jam going on at the Eagles Club from 4 to 7 but I didn't caught wind of it till it was too late.  Perhaps next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.