Thursday 5 March 2020

Artisan Sanctuary: To All The Girls That I Loved

Setlist:

Ain't No Sunshine
Jayne
Dear Lisa
Logic And Lies
Teri My Love


(Jeff Allen: Photo)

Notes:

I suppose if you do only original songs that people won't notice your mistakes.   And maybe I should have stayed home.  I had a major sneezefest this afternoon, 20 times in a two hour span, so I upped the allergy meds and popped a couple of Daytime cold meds and a couple of decongestants and took an two hour nap.  I should have stayed home but chose to go out and see Dave Bonham's final performance (he says) at Ramsey's with Donna Jo, Sharon and Steve Black Wolf on stage.  I opted to stay in the crowd which wasn't much.  But I stayed to see Dave and company till about 8 30 then make my way to the Sanctuary to play.

I can see why Dave is frustrated, nobody shows up and you're obligated to wing it.  Which having Steve Black Wolf to help out worked wonders.  While Dave has promised this was the last show, I told him about Notes From The Underground needed a new guitar player and he would contact Tom Berdo.  Kevin Wymer's departure is hard to explain but I think Kevin wanted to be more with Full Circle.  Kevin did try to recruit me for Full Circle but I decided against that.  I do remember Kevin was very disappointed in my decision, thinking I was wasting my talent not playing for them.  I do know Full Circle goes through a lot of drummers, I'd love to jam with John Hernandez and Kevin, but I would have issues with Vic.

If Dave wanted me to play he would have asked me.  I'm not about to crash the stage unless they want me to play.

Still half crocked on allergy meds and congestion, I stumbled through five songs, which shared a strange theme, they were all about women and Ain't No Sunshine led things off.  First time I ever sang it.  Also Jayne made a rare appearance for songs too. Tho I bought my notebook I didn't use it and fumbled through all of the songs except Logic And Lies.  Since Lisa had her birthday on Friday I thought I would sing her song.  Who was I singing about in Ain't No Sunshine?  I'm not telling. It was nice that everybody thought I did a great job despite my shortcomings but in my case, I wasn't 100 percent, and battled a constant steady flow of gas problems through my set.  But I must be doing something right to not let everybody know I was messing up on songs.  A desperate and deceptive set of music from the Acoustic Adventures of R. Smith.



Morris was there and paired up with Freddy Jones for a few meandering songs.  I missed Jeff Allen's act and a couple others.  Only Big Daddy Kahl had the best set.

Afterwards, I picked up a gig subbing for the Boy Scout Hippies' drummer June 27th in Marion at a private wedding party.  Ron has been very good of paying me the quoted price in previous gigs and if this comes true, it will be the first time I ever played with the BSH without walking Pneumonia (can't spell that fucking name half the time).

Jim had a showcase at the Cedar Rapids Library and everybody except me was there.  Even Julie popped up to play some good music.  For the Sanctuary, I was in for Julie who is still battling her own flu.  With Julie's new band The Truth (formerly Everlou) she mentioned that their regular drummer may have to bow out due to a torn bicep and may need another.  To which I named off a few replacements but also told her if the band is extreme need of a replacement, I could help out.  I doubt that she'll consider me (especially in April/May) but at least I offered.   Perhaps I should consider going to days and then have the nights off to go jam or play.

I might rival Terry in how many bands that I can play in.
Jim Jacobmeyer took this photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.