Sunday 8 March 2020

Waubeek/Stone City: The Corona Virus And You

FB Company Waubeek Jam

With
Ground Chuck And The Sirloin Burgers
Lenny Drake
Blues Rox
Meinfield
Jay Devore And Mikey Frederick
Captain Kirksey
Katy Merifield
David Lam
Nelson Borden

Notes:

Russ Swearingen made his way to Waubeek and check out the jam  He stayed for an hour.  As much I was trying to get him upstage to play bass he declined.  I'll keep working on him.

Despite losing an hour of sleep, I was kept busy being the only drummer providing beats to varying performers.  Highlights were Blues Rox and Meinfield keeping people dancing.  The version of The Weight everybody was singing to the chorus.  I always thought Brenda and Greg have done the best version of that song.  I try not to post the whole song list of everybody.  Playing for four hours I tend to space off on the lesser known songs.  I do think that Meinfield did the most followed by Jay and Mikey.

Maki only did Wearing a Dead Man's Shirt for his set.  We stretched it out to about 10 minutes playing the Bo Diddley Beat.

Rick Tron did three songs tho his version of Light My Fire he had trouble doing the introduction.  Twilight Zone went on forever but he's doing better playing that song.

I know Jay is the only person doing  You Can Have The Crown from Sturgil Simpson.  Picture is a Jamey Johnson song that is played at various jams too but I haven't heard his version and went for a very slow paced beat.  While the waitress was trying to shut the lights off, he finished with Wagon Wheel.  Despite my reservations of that song, it worked as a finale.

Next month, Blues Rox and me will be heading off to Amana for a private party, so I will be taking a break from the Waubeek jam.  Unless we finish up early and I can get back to Waubeek before closing.  I know playing Amana for two hours will not be as exhausting as the four hour marathon that is Waubeek Jam.  Unlike Rumors, we don't have many drummers playing.  Much to my chagrin.

Meinfield made a visit to Waubeek tonight. Always a good time! Tonight’s lineup:
Goin’ up the country - Canned Heat (by request)
Jackson - Johnny & June
Don’t Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John & Kiki Dee
It’s Too Late - Carole King
Lyin’ Eyes - Eagles
Because the Night - Patti Smith
Breakdown - Tom Petty
The Weight - The Band (by request)
And a really fun jam version of Wearing a Dead Man’s Shirt with Maki Dervo & friends

From Rick Tron

Light My Fire
96 Tears 
Twilight Zone

From Blues Rox
Songs include
Can't Get Enough
Pride And Joy
Tore Down
Shame Shame Shame
Feel Like Making Love

From Lenny Drake (Katy Merrifield on vocals) 
Corn Liqour
Bring It On Home To Me
Another Steeldriver song

From  Chuck Savage

Trashy Women
The Open Road

From Jay and Mikey

Picture
Folsom Prison
You Can Have The Crown
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
Wagon Wheel.

Stone City Set List:


Fox On The Run
I Fought The Law
Good Time Charlie
Let's Work Together
Ring Of Fire
Sundown
Logic And Lies
Cinnamon Girl

With:

Bubba Johannes, Mae Johnson, Danny Trumm, Rocky Smith, Donna Jo Farley, Maki Dervo, Guy Petersen and Bill Schlatter.



(Notes From The Underground:  Bill Bourbon, Billy McGomery, Tom Berdo, Roger Keifer and Dan Hartman)
Stacia Roccio: Photo Credit)


A beautiful day to go walking, so I took advantage of that and did ran around Anamosa and the football stadium and the track field.   I figured Bubba would still be setting things up.   And I was right.  Actually the set went according to plan, no big surprises.  Not a lot of jammers there so I got to add a few more songs than usual.  Could have played more but decided to go to Rumors.

The majority of folks was there.  Billy Bourbon gave me a couple of his CDs to listen to.  Tom Berdo and Notes From The Underground were there playing a few songs, maybe I'll get to know the name of the bass player soon.  Bird and me exchanged Elbow pumps, and I shook hands with a probably a few too many and did wash my hands   Terry was nice enough to offer me to finish up the jam but, I didn't feel like playing after doing four hours of that last night. So I passed this week of playing.   It was Tim Kauffman's birthday.  They did have five other drummers up there so I was there for support.    Tim Canfield did play bass.  I think we drafted him into playing.  Donna Jo followed me up from Stone City.

Kimberly is focusing more on her latest band project.  She wasn't present for the Stone City acoustic set.

There was a bit of paranoia over the Corona Virus tho the Notes Bass player was drinking a Corona.  Brenda was over the edge about that, freaking out as I said goodbye to her.  In the on again off again situation, she was talkative at first but then freaked out that I went around saying hello to fellow musicians and friends.  I just tipped my hat and went on my merry way.  If anybody should get stuck with the Corona Virus, that would be her.  Hypocrite bitch.


The good Brenda (who plays in Meinfield) went motorcycling with Greg.  It was a nice day to do that.   As always Brenda and Greg are fun to jam with.  I hope we can get together again real soon to play again.

I had a good time catching with the guys from Notes/Underground.  Tom Berdo has Billy Bourbon filling in on a couple dates and I told him about Dave Bonham being interested of being the guitar player.  Tom mentioned a guy from guitar center Bill will be giving  a tryout.  Since Dave is based out of Anamosa anymore I doubt he would commit a long drive to North Liberty to help them  out.   Dave has basically moved his jamming appearances to The Blu Room in Dubuque the past couple times.  Rocky Smith has helped him on drums up there.  I asked about the Blu Room Jam and he stated lots of jammers show up but the drums they provide sucked.  At least me and Terry keep ours tuned when we do jams.  Dave did managed to pick up a Wednesday Acoustic gig at the downtown Anamosa Mexician place.  Hope he does well.  For the most part I did talk briefly to the Notes guys about Kevin Wymer's exit from the band.  I'm sure Kevin will do well in Full Circle.  The Notes will find a decent guitar player.

We all know that we get tired and cranky of playing and threaten to quit but as long as we're still alive we continue to play.  Maki did compliment me about sticking to playing guitar on acoustic jams.  I'm not done with Waubeek by any means.  I'll be back for sure.

The Corona Virus has canceled the SXSW festival in Austin and even up here is causing hysteria (as the case in point from Ms. Snow).  My problem this year has been the sneezing and post nasal drip, but compared to last year this is no big deal.  Vitamins and lots of Zinc and "ahem" hand washing seems to have worked wonders but I hope I don't curse myself of getting any sort of flu and cold bug.  It's not going to make stay at home and barricade myself. I have bargain hunts to plan and go to, I have jams and gigs as well.  It seems like mass media will hype up each and every thing out there.  Perhaps Fist and elbow pumps are the way to go.  I can't even get close to Julie due to this.  So I have to take care and fend for myself.  To which I'm going to wash my jacket and clothes since they were out in the public at Rumors tonight.  God forbid if I should infect somebody with Corona 19 Virus.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.