Saturday 28 March 2020

The Glass Tap Quarantine Sessions

With Blues Rox

Kris Bries-Lead Guitar and vocals
Brian Bries-Rhythm Guitar and vocals
R.Smith-Drums



Set List:

Proud Mary (Warm Up)
Simple Man (Instrumental)
Pride And Joy
Can't Get Enough
Proud Mary (Version 2)
Shame Shame Shame
Blue On Black
Tore Down
Johnny B Goode
Pink Houses
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On
Keep Your Hands To Yourself
Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)





(Photos courtesy of The Glass Tap-Monticello)



Notes:

Blues Rox was the debut of something called the Quarantine Sessions, an idea to bring a live gig and put it on webcast, since bars could not have people in bars due to the Corona 19 virus.  Rocky Smith did stop by later after I was putting the drums away to see how things went.

I think we had like 1,102 people who managed to tune in to hear the set list.  Which is more than all of the crowds I ever played in 35 years of playing.   We haven't played live since Jan 19th, which was at the Glass Tap in Monticello.  Kristopher did a pretty good job considering the long layoff but of course the highlight was concluding things with ten minutes of Voodoo Chile to end the show.  Special thanks to Matt and Krystina for their hard work and dedication to our musical adventures.  I'm sure we'll all do it again real soon.

It was noted that our Amana private party was canceled as well.

Matt actually found some old movie posters of when The Glass Tap was the Princess Theater back in the early 40s.  Certainly, there's more to this place as a theater but I have yet to find that on the internet.



Brian's wife actually made up some Blues Rox T Shirts.  I do believe I'm part of the band now.

For today's session, I used the 13 inch  Zildjian K (made in Turkey) splash and the 14 inch K Dark Crash cymbals, I don't usually go with small cymbals but I didn't dig deep in the cymbal bag and I pulled these ones out instead of the usual bigger cymbals.  Smaller cymbals don't overpower like the power and rock crashes that I no longer use.  At the same time I didn't use the 18 inch K Dark Crash that I bought last month.  Since it was going to rain, I decided on using what was available to me.  The 13 inch K splash cymbal was brought in 1984 at Siegels in downtown Cedar Rapids, and they had  I think a 10 inch pair of hi hats made from Turkey, real imported Zildjian cymbals.  This cymbal had a hairline crack around the crown (it was there when I bought it) but it was used when Tyrus-Paraphernalia played the OK Lounge in Marion on 12/7/84.  So that cymbal, along with the Pearl Snare had a direct connection to the past.  I can't say if I will continue using those cymbals, I tend to experiment with all at my disposal, but as far as I know, they fit with the sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.