Sunday 13 September 2020

Stone City-What It Is All About

 Songs:

Willin
Fox On The Run
Never Trust A Sleeping Train
For What Its Worth
Cinnamon Girl
Drift Away
Gimme One Good Reason
Gold Dust Woman

Kimberly Kirzan: Lead vocal on 6-8

I'm not a fan of the new Blogger and it's messed up format.  The GD format keeps changing back to Paragraph when I need the Normal mode.  Just like Facebook, people keep fucking up things.

For the first time in a six months, Julie returned but had Guitar Dave backing her up.  They did repeat one of the songs that I played (Willin') but I didn't play that one to spite them, but rather to polish it up.  For future shows if Jules and Dave come out to play, I won't play it.

Since I wasn't feeling up to it, (back spams) I didn't make the Quarantine Jam 3 over at Steve's place.  I really didn't want to deal with Virginia's meddling of the songs that I played.   But I do await Steve's report of the Q Jam results.  I do hope he had people to show up.  But only Donna Jo and Virginia showed up to help Steve's cause.   No word if Cyndi showed up. 

Most of the regulars was there and Kimberly stayed even as Dave was there and really took off on the songs that we played.  The three songs that we played were the highlight of the jam, even with Julie there, Kimberly blasted out Gold Dust Woman and Drift Away, a song that we never did together.  Since Julie was there with Dave, I didn't borrow her, nor Freddy Jones.   I'm sure Kim did aim for a claim to Gold Dust Woman with Julie watching on.    I do suspect the next time we play that song, Julie will be singing it.  She'll insist on that.

Other notables to the party:  Patrick McGoolihan, Carl Meiners, Maki Dervo who hosted, Mike Fredricks, Bill Schlatter, Ray Larson and Phil Bo King (Koening and Diana too)  And Bella the doggie. 

Five years ago, my original return to the jams was met with indifference.  The late T Ray Robertson and Dave Bonham were the two jammers that I paired up with.  In fact Dave wasn't impressed by my over the top drumming and lack of helping the band out, opting to provide the beats my way.    To be honest, the first six months was attempting to fit in and being the old/new kid on the block, I have yet to learn to play alongside the bass players, driving poor Kenny Webb up the wall with a caffeinated and out of control beat.  Fast forward to yesterday, while helping moving Julie's bedpost out of the way upstairs and getting back spams beforehand, he marveled on how well I adapted to Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.  A song that I never really gotten to play at all.  In fact, that might have been the first time I ever played.   He still talks about that performance.

I'm flattered that Dave considers me to be one of the best drummers out there, even better than Terry McDowell.   Terry is more into the modern rock stuff, which I am not interested but I do pride myself in learning to adapt to certain songs of note.  In the past five years, I worked hard to solidify the beat and learn to be a more patient drummer, without the bash and crash of years before.  I'm still learning.

When you're a musician, you may leave the music but the music never leaves you.   We tell ourselves that we will walk away and retire but even I don't believe it.  If I did say if  I would retire, I'd be full of it.   The Townedgers, may end, but my musical journey will continue.  I am looking forward to have Russ be part the rhythm section for Blues Rox.  Will the Bries tolerate him?  I think they might if he doesn't go overboard with ideas.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.