Tuesday 16 November 2021

Artisan-Protective Stupidity

Songs:

I Can't Be What You Want Me To Be
The Last Time
Help Me
Logic And Lies
Behind Blue Eyes
No Expectations
Cinnamon Girl


(Missing Mike Moran, who now lives in Virginia and teaches students about protective stupidity) 

Back at the Artisan for the first time in two months and closed the open mic down with a uneven set of songs that got better as the night progressed.   Tried out Can't Be What You Want Me To Be for the first time in a while.  Fucked up the chords so I kept expanding it.  I need to practice more if I'm going to play these songs on a whim.

I followed yet another dude who was rappin'.  He mentioned that he only started to do his stuff three weeks earlier.  I wished him the best of luck, he's going to need it.

Mike Moran is the former Goat singer that played at the Artisan a few years ago.  He has played harmonica on a couple songs that I did.  He's certainly is missed around these parts.

My guitar playing has taken a back seat to the drumming with Blues Rox and the Sunday Funday Jams.  I have been very lazy of not practicing the songs outside of the usual five or six that are now standard procedure songs in Stone City.  We don't have the Whittier Jam anymore, so that's one less place to showcase the Acoustic Adventures, Waubeek has been placed on hold and I pick and choose Checkers whenever time is allowed.   I haven't bothered Julie or Kimberly on the Stevie Nicks songs they sing. I haven't bothered Terry about playing guitar at the Whisky Jo's or Rumors, last time I did that at Rumors I got the switch changed on the songs that I did play.  The old guard sticks to the chords that they can play.   So I don't bother much with them.  

Since moving to CR, The Artisan Sanctuary has welcomed a few more folks to play, but there has been Phil Bo not being there all that much, Stu Pershing and Sean Ster don't come to play, (probably of the fact that Stu lives around Waterloo or works strange hours and Mr. Ster's political nonsense has turned a lot of folk off, with his protective stupidity, likewise the ersatz Ryan Paul, who's willing to revolt for the sake of getting the past POTUS back into office.  Jim has been quite nice to the efforts of me and more so to Blues Rox.  I hope to continue to get back into playing more guitar but I'm not so certain of the future of the latter band.  I had thoughts of going to Davenport to check out their Tuesday Night jam but my HBP issues and being tired all the time dealing with the ongoing shoulder pain made it impossible.  And besides I took a hour nap this afternoon before coming into town and doing the Sanctuary open mic. 

Eli Wedel's Frequency One Man Jam Band was before me.  A bit rough around the edges but stick with it Eli.  Everybody gets better the next time around.  I should know.  BTW, I do like the way you think. 

Dave Bonham didn't make it to the open mic.  He and Julie host the Iowa City Unimpaired Bar debut Open Mic Wednesday Night and then play there Friday and then the Davenport Unimpaired Bar on Saturday.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.