Sunday 7 November 2021

Rumors-With Ed Butler

Songs:

All Along The Watchtower
Beat It
Ode To Billy Joe
Price Tag
Battle Of New Orleans
Wicked Game
Dyer Maker
Come Together




Ed Butler-Guitar and Lead Vocals
Tommy Bruner-Guitar
Tim Canfield-Bass
Nick Lnenicka-Harmonica
R.Smith-Drums

Terry McDowell is your host
Billy Bourbon got to take a break. (but the photos of the Rumor's Jam are from him) 


Me and Phil Bo from a jam at the Artisan earlier in the year, Happy birthday to him!

The weekend started out filling seven bags of yard waste and then off to see Terry McCauley at the Bohemian and he was happy to see me.  He was still raving about our last get together at the Monticello barn eight months ago.    Got to see Flex with Rick Clay's debut and then went over to Phil Koening's birthday bash, which was winding down when I got there.  I did managed to play a few songs with Phil and Dakota McWhorter and Corey Baker.  I missed Ed and Tanya English and Guitar Dave, who were all long gone when I made it there.

For Sunday, losing an hour of daylight, I opted to do a bit of walking around NewBo and the Sinclair walking circle and still trying to overcome the bone spur in my shoulder which is causing pain at times. There's nothing I can do with it except learn to live with it.




Greg Nost, DJ and Joe Millenux were there, Donna Jo arrived later and Terry spared me of suffering through another of Russ Gracklin's limited song list of the usual.  Herm Saruday got that job.  It was a restless set, Russ probably had too much to drink and it showed on Mustang Sally.  

So it was Ed Butler to come up on stage and deliver a eight song set, to which he showed his eccentric side, with Beat It (yeah, the Mike Jackson song) and his greatest hits.  I was not familiar with Price Tag, to which in Ed's odd sense of humor, was done by Jessie J and off the Pitch Perfect soundtrack.  While the crowd may find him an acquired taste, I love his song selections and how I managed to somehow, find the right beat, tho on Price Tag, I was throwing different drum patterns.  His Ode To Billie Joe, another off the wall song, was eventually figured out, but Price Tag, well, I made the beat up as we go along.

The highlight has always been his Dyer Maker song, by now, I figured out where the breaks were at and went from there.  I don't think his Wicked Game was outrageous as it usually is, but still those two songs will be forever associated with him. 

By the time I got done, most of the bar crowd went home, leaving Donna Jo with Billy, Tommy, Freddy Jones, and Tim Canfield with there version of Margaritaville.

To which I excused myself and went home.

Somebody left her bra behind and Terry did find it and displayed it on his drum set for all to see.  Needless to say, nobody has come forward to reclaim it.  Hopefully Terry would throw it in the lost and found at Rumors.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.