Thursday 8 June 2017

The fallacy of Logic And Lies

It's early morning as I write this.  I don't know how I managed to write Logic And Lies, it seems like the songs wrote themselves as I battled my emotions and depressions through the recording sessions.  Buoyed by positive crowds and jammers at various jam sessions, this helped me in the making of the record.  The highs of hearing Belinda James sing Come Together and Julie Gordon on Gold Dust Woman,   And even managing to take Julie out on a actual date in the process.  And her getting me to smile all the while at our last get together.  I could get used to this.

That said, Logic And Lies, the album itself really has drained me.  It has really turned into a dark album of sorts, to the point that it makes Pawnshops For Olivia look more like the Brady Bunch Sunshiny Day. If it wasn't for the cover versions it may even make Joy Division or Swans look more happy happy.  And it may be my final effort of new music.  I never know, I've been saying that ever since Town's Edge Rock, done 34 years ago.  But I really do not want to go through these wide range of emotions,  I'm surprised I have not had a stroke or heart attack yet.

Upon discussing the album with my producer and Geoff Redding, I informed them that my last new song will be recorded and it will conclude the album; it's called I'm On The Right Road Now, and I suppose of the beginning of the title track, everything has been a twisted song cycle.  I've done twisted song albums in the past, Love Sucks (1983), Drive In Blues (1992) and Pawnshops (2008) started out with hope, only the have the final song find things in despair, D.I.B concludes with Pretender, which was basically thought up lyrics on the spot about watching things fall apart and nothing changes.  Pawnshops had Beyond The Sun, to which the chorus line suggests the only time I could be together with the person of interest would be the after life, which would be bullshit anyway.  But after subjecting the listener with corrosive love songs, I want to end the album on a uptempo note, telling folks that I finally found what I was looking for in life.  Which is...more music.

I think the future is brighter, despite the antics of the GOP and the failed reality star in the white house, but it's a fragile line that I walk.  I have proven that I can rock with the musicians in town and a shame that I didn't do this sooner than I did, and managed to pick up the guitar and sing my songs and getting folks to sing along.  I didn't figure this would happen, not in a million years but somehow one night at Checkers and a couple songs and the ball started rolling again.  I think I could convince somebody to give me a gig playing the music that I love to play (Checker's?, Ramsey's?, F B and Company?). Or to revamp Paraphernalia in the way that I wanted them to sound?  Or even do something called The New Townedgers?   A million things on my mind but I'm not sure if the world wants to hear a 50 something dude sing depressing heartbreak songs.  I'd rather not subject Julie on that; in fact it seems when I do the acoustic jams and having her duet it's the uptempo, happier songs that make it work.  Not that Gold Dust Woman is a happy song, or the emotions that go through Ring Of Fire.  Perhaps Johnny Cash was going through the same thing when he sang it.  But in the end he did managed to get June.

Next week, I think we'll continue to add some remakes of Townedgers songs (The guys want another go through on On Highway 94) and more cover songs that I have yet to commit to tape (No Expectations, Lynch Party, You're Gonna Miss Me) and perhaps putting at as a stand along covers album under The TEs name. The drum tracks will come later in the month, and then the usual mixing and hoping to get it on disc.

And after that, relax. I'm in need of a vacation, to get away from it all. It's been all too much.

Recording Session 10 6/8/17  Hoarder House Of Hits In Anamosa
Producer: Rodney Smith/Terry Bainbridge
Recording: Martin Daniels/R.Smith

Songs:
I'm On The Right Road Now
Ring Of Fire
Lynch Party


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.