Friday 30 June 2017

Thoughts From The Townedger June Edition

It's summertime and yes we have tornadoes.  Kim Moorman took this shot of the tornado that went from Alburnett to Central City to Prairieburg.  This thing was on the ground for a good half hour at least.



I've been documenting the set list of songs that I have for past few months and there seems to be a turning away from original stuff to crowd favorites. I really do not think that the songs from the new album Logic And Lies will get anybody to listen to the album.  That's okay as long as net radio continues to promote the efforts.  I know Tommy Bruner and I have had spirited discussions about trying to get bar gigs, and he knows better than I do that in order to get people to dance and drink you have the play the time tried and tired songs.   I never doubt Tommy's wisdom, he's been doing this for almost 50 years, and he does challenge me when we jam together. Somehow he managed to get me to actually play I Shot The Sheriff in a reggae type funky mode. It must have been the Bob Marley T Shirt that inspired me to play that way.  Or Carlton Barrett.

I still hold out that I can jam with Russ on stage once again, but he's been dealing with some health issues as well.  Nothing is certain when you get this far in life.  I wish it was about 20 years ago, maybe then I would have gotten myself to do the jams sooner than I did.

Same thing with Dewayne Schminkey. I think being a grand parent he likes more.  Enjoy your grandkids and hang with them.  I dropped the ball on backing Dewayne up when he wanted to come to Rumors to do a set with me last month but I promise that I'll be there if he wants to do a couple songs together.

I hate to admit it but I am getting bald and it is sad I can't do anything about it. It's hard to believe that 20 years ago I still have a full amount of hair on top of my head but nowadays it seems it is all going south, in places I'd rather had no hair at.  But I didn't think I would make it this far in life, even less still playing music.

Quite honestly, I have never gotten into Radiohead, nor Interpol  Or Wilco, I tend to think they are a bit overrated.

The new band collective I'm doing has some fine musicians in it. Mark Randolph is a very good guitar player, Tim Nemec is a solid bass player and Larry Alexman is the new guy but he has plenty of guitars and even a drumset too.  What's not to love about that.  It means saving wear and tear on my back.  Belinda James does some vocals too.  I've known her long enough to play her songs quite well.  You won't believe the quality of how some of our local female singers can sing.   Belinda can really put the emotional wail into Stormy Monday and make you feel the blues and the way she sings it.  I have the honor of backing up the two best female singers in the area, her and Julie Gordon.  Jules has more of a rocking voice, she can belt them out with the best of Stevie Nicks or Pat Benetar but she can be subtle too.  I could listen to her sing all night.  And, she has the softest and greatest kisses too. That said, I look at her as a musical partner.  She can adapt to anything, if she can adapt to my style of music then she has to be somebody special.  Or is an excellent musician. Or both.  I still would love to add her to this new band collective.


(Lusus Greene Photo from the early 90s. Photo: Thomas Duggerby)
(I still cannot remember that name no matter how hard I try, every picture helps though)
The guess is Aaron Webber is the drummer.

Bart Carfizzi has had major back pains thoughout the whole year and he had to retire from the Past Masters due to his back issues. I believe he still wants to play in a band but without the long distance traveling that the Past Masters have to do.  Nevertheless that is a big paycheck he's leaving behind.  I wish they can heal his back so he wouldn't have those issues.

The Chicago Cubs have been a major disappointment this year. I doubt if they will make the playoffs since nobody knows how to pitch or get timely hits when they're supposed to.  On a related subject I do not miss TV, too many Pharma Commercials, and too many commercials and the news channel are bullshit.   If I'm subjected to TV, I'll watch TCM or Me TV or outside of that my TV stays off.




Some of Belinda James Demos: https://myspace.com/belinda.james/music/songs




Tune in next month for more pointless banter and observations.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.