Sunday 11 June 2017

Various Jams And Recording Sessions Over The Weekend

Acoustic Jam-Gilligan's Pub CR IA 6/10/17
Karl Hudson-Host

Set list:

She's About A Mover
Everybody's Talking
Listen To Love
Ring Of Fire (Jeff Overly-Alto Sax)
No Expectations

2nd Set:

Tim Nemec-Bass
Jeff Overly-Alto Sax and backing vocals
Belinda James-Lead Vocals
Karl Hudson-Guitar on Gold Dust Woman

Ever So Much
For What Its Worth
Come Together (Belinda James-Lead Vocals)
Gold Dust Woman (Belinda James-Lead Vocals)

Summer is here and the turnout for the Gilligan's Jam was disappointing to the fact that it might be the last acoustic jam.  Jeff Overly made it from Fort Madison as well as Belinda and Mark Randolph and later Tim Nemec showed up to play bass.  I might be missing a song from the first set but for the most part the highlight was playing Ring Of Fire with Jeff adding alto sax and Karl being so impressed he gave me 10 dollars.  My first paying gig!

Nothing real new outside of She's About A Mover, I didn't feel the need to debut anything from Logic And Lies but I did dust off Listen To Love and dedicated that to Mark's son Andrew who was really into his date.   Tim Nemec played bass on the second set of songs and Belinda taking over vocals for Come Together and Gold Dust Woman, to which Julie Gordon was missed.

Anyway, since this jam was moved to 5 to 8 I bypassed the Whittier Acoustic Jam in favor going to Walford to see Four Day Creep.  Rick Clay plays guitar and the best drummer in town Troy Mitchell plays drums, he had a common bond with the late Bruce Stanley and we have become jam buddies and good friends.  The crowd at Wild Hogs was even less than the Gilligan's Acoustic Jam but despite Amanda being under the weather they are a pretty good hard rocking band.  Later, during the very short third set, Troy and Rick invited me up on stage and I got to do Dreams I Never See Again, this time without any malfunction.  Rick told me that there was a loose plug in which came out later on the song when we did it a couple weeks ago.  Troy was quite impressed with how I played drums and invited me to play drums again next time they play.  Troy and Rick great guys, great band.

I missed supper so I went to Taco Bell and waited for ten minutes for some sort of help, only to have some strange looking zombie type of women up there but nobody seemed interested to take my order so I went on to McDonald's for a couple of cheeseburgers and made a return trip to Wild Hogs to catch Four Day Creep.  After all, I did tell people I was going there to see them.

For cymbals, Troy has mostly Sabian's for crashes, although I think the ride might be a Zildjian A Ride and Zildjian A hats. He might be using a 20 inch AAX crash (not a power crash I don't think) as well as a 18 inch AAX crash and 16 inch crash plus a 18 inch China.



Recording Session 12 6/10/17 Hoarder House Of Hits
Producer: Rodney Smith/Terry Bainbridge
Recording: Martin Daniels

I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song
Best Of Me
On Highway 94
The Red Telegraph

With: Geoff Redding and Martin Daniels

I think this is the last session of recording new music, so there was an attempt to cover the Jim Croce cover and then couldn't find the words for Best Of Me, so I had to seek out the CD and copy the words off that and managed to do it in one take.  Highway 94 was a requested number for the album and so I fired that one up, plus The Red Telegraph before concluding the sessions when my brother came from from the Monticello Car Show, otherwise their voices would have been heard in the background.

Best Of Me came off These Things Must Pass but on the recording the guitars are sadly out of tune.  I have no idea how the song came together.  Something to do with discovering the inner soul of the person you're making love with.   The Red Telegraph originally done for Tales Of The Red Caboose is one of those songs about looking forward to the future without anything holding you back. Upon choosing songs to redo, Terry Bainbridge wanted me to take another crack at The Nailer but I told him I couldn't play the odd tempos of that song and basically it would be too much work for a song that nobody is going to play on the radio anyway.  The Red Telegraph is easier to sing and play.  You can't win them all.

And then:


(Photo courtesy of Four Day Creep)

Guest Drummer For Four Day Creep On Dreams I'll Never See Again

Amanda Britcher-Vocals
Rick Clay-Guitar and vocals on Dream I'll Never See Again
John Baughman-Bass
Troy Mitchell: Drums

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.