Wednesday 15 November 2017

Checker's Acoustic Showcase-The Philosopher's Stone

Set List:

The Race Is On*
The Kids Are Alright*
Fever
Poor Poor Pitiful Me*
Let Your Love Flow
Light My Fire/I Always Wanted To Be With You/Cinnamon Girl
Gold Dust Woman (Julie Gordon; Lead Vocals)
For What's Its Worth (Julie Gordon Lead Vocals)
Little Sister (Julie Gordon: Lead Vocals) *
Everybody's Talking
Sweet Home Chicago (Julie Gordon: Lead Vocals)

*Debut

With:

Julie Gordon-Host, vocals, guitar and percussion
Dave Bonham-Host and lead guitar
Carl Meiners-Guitar and vocals
Skip Richards-Bass and Vocals
David Boston-Sax
Donna Jo Eisner-Backing vocals and percussion
Tim Canfield-Good Vibes

Notes:  There were a few more songs that I played guitar on when Carl Meiners came up on stage and there were a few songs that Julie and Dave did that I wasn't familiar with so I stayed unplugged and off the stage.

I noted the four songs that Julie sang on.  I'm sure she did a few more (Born On The Bayou, Green River, Seven Bridges Road) and I know Carl did some songs that I didn't note (Folsom Prison, Loving Her Was Easier, Sunday Morning Comin Down, Swinging Doors, a couple others that I don't know the name of the song) and Skip did Mustang Sally (?) and Hang On Sloopy.

While The Checker's Showcase wasn't as radical as the Long Branch Showcase, I did play around with the boogie version of Fever and then did a strange medley starting out with Light My Fire which went into I Always Want To Be With You and then finishing up with Cinnamon Girl to which Julie joined me on the second chorus.  I was still dealing with the after effects of having food poisoning courtesy of Taco Bell the other night and it was so dry there, I had to deal with a dry throat.  Not very well since the unsweetened Tea wasn't helping things either. I was losing my voice on Let Your Love Flow which was why I decided to go with the medley and thankfully Julie bailed me out on Cinnamon Girl, by then I had no vocal range whatsover and I needed  to save my voice for my gig tomorrow night.

There were three new debuts of cover songs. Rough go through versions of The Race Is On and Poor Poor Pitiful Me and The Kids Are Alright to which Julie took part of a video of that song.  While I enjoy playing The Who songs, they do sound better with a electric guitar. Hardly anybody paid much attention to the line, "I met a girl down at Checker's Bar instead of the Hyatt House".  For the most part my set ended with Julie singing Gold Dust Woman.  Everybody's Talking was chosen my encore number, Skip playing bass to that and Carl playing guitar.

I thought the crowd would be bigger but Mike Clair was sick, Steve Black Wolf had a couple teeth pulled and rest probably either were working or too tired to show up.  I managed to chat with Tim Canfield on drums and guitar for a while. Somehow the talk turned into Donna Jo coming over to talk about going to see America this weekend and she paid 250 dollars to go see Van Morrison, only to get annoyed with that concert.  He was such a moody and pompous bastard she said.   And then it was back to America and the song that was covered by the Captain And Tenille, Muskrat Love.  To which all parties all agreed that America did the better version.

BTW-Muskat Love was written by Willis Alan Ramsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.