Friday 24 November 2017

Long Branch Acoustic Showcase-Electric Solo

Song list:

Sweet Jane (Abbreviated)
Fever
Fire*
Logic And Lies
Drawn In The Dark
Midnight Rider
The Last Time
Tulsa Time
Light My Fire
Just To Satisfy You
Dead Flowers
Switch Board Susan
Poor Poor Pitiful Me (Abbreviated)
Everybody's Talking
Keep Your Hands To Yourself
Sweet Home Alabama/Werewolves Of London

Tony Nickels-Percussion and mandolin

*debut

Not exactly a memorable night.  It was just me and Tony doing the showcase tonight and I ran out of gas after our off the wall attempt to do Sweet Home Alabama.  It was the second straight week of gone electric and Tony loved the sound of the Tele.

For some reason I couldn't get into Sweet Jane nor Poor Poor Pitiful me and scrapped them since I couldn't register the riffs on the latter song and the former needs more polishing.  There was an attempt to cover Fire but that didn't work as well either.  However one of the patrons still hanging around complimented me on a good job on the vocals.

I don't know what happened along the way.  I did stop and see Doug Spinler's band Palamino and wished PJ at Checkers' a happy birthday and had Chinese at Crossroads Bistro.  Probably the no shows played a role of not being as inspired and my voice kept giving out too.

If nothing else, Tony was glad to see that I made it.  And that the night was more bearable to him too.

Rumors Jam-Triple Guitar Attack 11/26/17

Mike Clair-Guitar
Brook Hoover-Guitar and vocal on Triple Guitar Attack Jam
Tommy Bruner-Guitar
Dan Johnson-Bass
Ernest The Soul Man-Vocal on Bring It On Home
R. Smith-Drums
Terry McDowell-Host

Songs:
Bring It On Home
Triple Guitar Attack Jam


Another packed crowd and a whole lot of jammers but I managed to do the last two songs before Comfortably Numb ended the show. I don't think Terry was in the best of moods, we didn't speak much except when he introduced me to the stage after I relieved Trevor Worcel when  Ernest did The Twist song, but I got to do Bring It On Home.  Thankfully Brook Hoover ended my segment with a 7 minute long jam song to which everybody got to do some showing off as well. I Threw a few dollars in the tip jar to show my appreciation   Thought about going home to watch a DVD and take a nap but Julie was up there and we decided to go over to her place and jam to a couple of songs.   I'm not sure if we attempt to do Fire at her jam but we'll see.

Patrick Geisland's band did about four songs including something called So Long, which I thought was quite catchy but I noticed that the ride cymbal stand was knocked over during a song, which didn't please Terry at all, (can't blame him).  Dana Rocky Smith and Bird did five songs together, then Herman Sarduy did a couple songs, then Rob Haskill before Terry returned with the Rock Brigade and did three lengthy songs (Stranglehold, Fly Me Couragous, I Don't Know). Notables up there beside Julie and Dave Bonham were Ed Butler, Nick Lenescka, Brenda Snow and her friend, Tami Soukup, Kim Mishmash, Lana Oliver who got married, Rick and Andi Clay, Troy Mitchell to name a few.  Troy opted not to play but Rick did a fantastic job on Stranglehold.   I would have gone to the Stone City Jam had Brook Hoover not up there and I'm sure Terry wanted to kill Pat after his drumming expose, but Pat is one of the hardest hitting drummers around.  Perhaps next time Terry may have to mention to Pat to bring his own drumset up there, since I'm sure he'll be replacing the drum heads once again.  I might have gotten a earache out of all this but I did think that Pat and his band did a rocking job on their mini set.  Kenny Webb played bass on a few sets.

Notes; Julie sang with Ed on Jolene.  Ed also did Sultans Of Swing to which the Hermanador messed up the final verse and chorus.

I think Ernest lobbied hard for me to play his songs. I'd love to play The Twist song with him in the near future.  But that hasn't been the case.  It's Terry's jam and those who there early get on stage early.  I'm there to support the cause.

There are photos taken and Kevin Simnacher took a video and some pictures but there are none of me playing drums.  Don't think it's worth the time nor effort to post anyway. Look hard enough and you'll find them on You Tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.