Thursday 16 November 2017

Logic And Lies Live At The Sanctuary

Songs:

It's So Hard
Drawn In The Dark
Let It Go
All We Are
Realitesville
Dear Lisa
Teri My Love
Logic And Lies


(Jim Jacobmeyer: Photo)

The idea of going electric has been etched in my mind for a while, but for the first time ever I did just that.

I didn't expect to acquire another guitar but the situation presented itself while I was at the Maquoketa Pawn Shop.  There stood in the aisle was Fender Telecaster, I had two Strats and both still are played and loved but I fell in love with this Tele and it was a US made guitar, the clerk mentioned it was a 99 model.  So I figured why not, and decided to use this as my electric debut at the Sanctuary in Marion.

Jim gave me the chance to work a hour long set but I decided to do a half hour set before closing.  Ed Butler popped up from Riverside to do a  couple numbers, Alex Tuna did a couple numbers and Colton and Pat Lower did some karaoke.   Colton is a very good singer of Karaoke and Jim and I talked maybe doing a project with Colton doing songs with honest to goodness real instruments.

My Electric set was a mixed bag and I picked the wrong amp for that.  I used my old Telisco amp that my folks gave me for Christmas about 46 years ago.  It's not loud, and it plays cranky, plenty of fuzz tone to it.  My folks only paid 29.95 for both the guitar and amp that they got from K Mart and the guitar died a long time ago. Despite some snap crackle and pop on the knobs the amp plays fine.  It made all the songs sound like punk rock, even Teri My love had a bit too much overdrive to it.  Even though I worked on the song Logic And Lies, my mind drew a blank and I had to start over again.  But this song have gotten quite a bit of a boost from the Sanctuary faithful and they seem to enjoy hearing it.  Some notables who showed up, Phil Koening from the Waubeek jams, Ed Butler from Riverside, Alex Tuna and Becky who used to sing in Blues Zone years ago, she played more folk than blues.  My set was simply noisy and a bit too much punk rock.  A rethink is probably needed next time if I go electric.

Interesting night though.

(Below: Fender Telecaster bought today at the pawnshop for 800 dollars.   It's a made in USA version made in 1999. It's seen a few gigs but it does sound great despite the 20 dollar amp that I used at the Sanctuary)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.