Thursday 30 November 2017

Artisan Sanctuary Showcase 11/30/17-Solo and Otherwise


Songs:

Spoonful
Mercury Blues
Be With Me
Drawn In The Dark
Fever

Encore  (With Kimberly Trevallion)

Gold Dust Woman
Kansas City Blues (attempted)
Fire
Poor Poor Pitiful Me

Photos by Jim Jacobmeyer



I really didn't intend to do much outside of a block of four songs and off to do other things, but since Kim was in attendance and was looking for a guitar player to help her, the only thing I could come up with was Gold Dust Woman, and Kim's version is more Halestorm than Stevie Nicks, which kinda threw me off course.   I know Julie is Fleetwood Mac and we have done it enough to play off each other toward the end.  Kim, on the other hand, is one of the most powerful vocalists in this town and she's very schooled in the blues. She lit up the crowd on Gold Dust Woman, hitting the higher octaves and back to the chorus again.  Alas, I didn't know the songs she did best, You Got A Friend or Drift Away, actually I did.....if I played drums. I used the capo on the 4th fret on Fire, to which it sounded like the Pointer Sisters than Bruce and was in her vocal range and Poor Poor Pitiful Me, a compromise at the end after she was going through my songbook of songs I could do.  I think in the near future if we share the stage again I'll need to work on Drift Away or Cold Shot, or simply go to see Blue Scratch and check out their songs and figure what to do next.

Spoonful and Mercury Blues were reprise d from the Checker's gig and both sounded pretty damn angry.  I told the story of Be With Me, to which I was so smitten with somebody that I wrote a song and sang it for her and while she thought that was a sweet gesture, but still didn't want nothing to do with me and to which I yelled out BITCH at the end and folks got a good laugh out of that.

The story behind Be With Me, was our guitar player broke up with a cool woman and I thought I would ease her pain by writing a song about asking her out and seeing if she would get the message. She did liked the song but by then, she was dating somebody else.

I ended up my segment by playing Fever and not Logic And Lies which Jim Jacobmeyer was going to request as a encore number, but I ended up accompanying Kim on three songs, so I didn't see the need to play that song.  But I have to the next time we meet up.  I did notice the cd that I gave Jim to hear was on the table waiting for somebody to pick up.  


(Let's see what this button does, Philbo, working his magic)

Patrick Lower, who usually does sound was very sick so Phil Bo King  took over for sound and gave me a bit of echo that would keep feeding back into my ears so I had to back away from the mic. Craig took pictures, Colton once again sang great and he needs a band to back him up.  Mike Lint is a good singer to Karaoke stuff, Colton is better.  That's saying something.  We might have to learn to do some Bon Jovi songs to get a real band behind Colton.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.