Sunday 3 December 2017

Waubeek Jam-Clean Up On The Main Stage

Songs:

Spoonful
Mercury Blues
Cinnamon Girl
For What Its Worth
I'm A Man/Rock Me Baby

With:
Kirksey: Vocals and guitar on For What It's Worth/I'm A Man

The Waubeek jam Band (With John Hein (Big Mo), Phil Koening, Kirksey, Carl Meiners)

To finish this week's gigs, I did Waubeek at F B Company and Mark Devo bought some real drums, so I helped out the gang on some songs but couldn't figure out how  to play Dixie Chicken. It just didn't happen. But on the plus side they did mentioned that the songs I did drum on that I knew really gave them that added edge missing.   They all played pretty good.

Of course, like the last time, I ended up being the next to final act to play guitar and sing and by then, most of the regulars went home again (sigh). Perhaps they had too much fun on the drum numbers, I know we extended Bring It On Home to the point of being excessive but the guys put on a great groove.  Phil Koening and I jammed a bit on the songs and while Big Mo may not be the best drummer, he is a ferocious bass player.

The songs I sang I didn't need cheat sheets to. They were improvised like I'm A Man and Rock Me Baby to which Kirksey sang I'm A Man and I added some Captain Beefheart/Tom Waits growls on Rock Me Baby.  I think there were a couple of hecklers in the audience but they basically left after Spoonful.  I guess I made some nice background noise while the patrons drank a few beers and watch television.

Overall, more fun when I was playing drums and having a few folks on stage but it was worthy of practicing in front a live audience, even if I wore myself out playing drums earlier.


For the first time in months, I passed on the Rumors Jam, and spending the afternoon with Julie and playing songs together on guitar.  D J Hovenstat had his birthday today and I'm sure he had a great time jamming with Bruner,Bear,Bird and Terry.  For myself, it was nice to hang with Julie more.  She really does have a way to make me smile.  Especially when she was singing Walking After Midnight, walking with me to the car in the moonlight light.

And then gave me a goodnight kiss.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.