Sunday 31 December 2017

New Years Eve Jam-Rumors And Cooters

Rumor's NYE Jam

Chad Johnson-lead vocals
Jeff Mattison-guitar
Mark Adams-bass
Tom Miller-Host Drummer
I played drums.

Songs;

Sister Golden Hair
Moondance
Happy Birthday Fuckface
The Middle



Cooters-KICK IT Band with Dan Hartman

With:
Tommy Bruner-Guitar
Dan Hartman-Acoustic Guitar
Robby Wallace-Vocals and bongos
Mike Williams-Guitar and vocals
Eddie Jarrell-Bass
Rocky Smith-Drums

I played  drums on

Luckenbach Texas
God Bless The USA
Sharp Dressed Man

It was nice to have a change of new hosts on the Rumor's New Year's Eve jam.  Terry's band was playing in Wapello and put together Past Masters' vocalist Chad Johnson and the retired Tom Miller on drums plus Jeff Mattison on guitar.  I have rarely jammed with Jeff but he has a very eclectic tastes by offering up on the jazzy Moondance, to which I have done before with The EGADS and Jimmy Eat World's The Middle was the first time I ever played drums too. Chad is a showman extraordinaire and it was fun to watch in and Jeff clown around on some songs.   I missed Jeff Overly since I got there late, but caught up with him at The Shack when he was helping Karl Hudson and Peter Cacioppo with The Buzz and I checked out a set from them.

I thought about going to see Crazy Delicious at CRL but they had a five dollar cover charge, so I opted to head to Cooters and catch up on Dan Hartman and the Kick It band.   I did two country songs with them and Sharp Dressed Man with Mike Williams doing vocals.

NOTES:  for the first time ever.  I went to Cooters and no fights broke out.  Ernest was there and like the Rumors jam, he reprised his Bring It On Home/The Twist medley   He didn't need no mic to shout out the words.

I didn't intend to play drums at Cooters but Rocky asked me if I wanted to and so I did.  I opted for the country numbers just to keep it simple.  Never did God Bless The USA before.  It's better than doing Mustang Sally, to which Rocky did.

It was fun to see Tom Miller again.  I certainly miss him in Past Masters (although Keith Lindsay does a fine job on drums).  After my little set, they were wanting him back on stage, and started playing Angel Eyes without him.  He finally came out of the bathroom after the first verse.

The weather was minus 20 when I got home and got a distressed note from Rocky saying his truck broke down in Springville and needed a ride back home.  So I got there just in time to meet Dan Hartman, who came in from Marion and it was decided that I would take him home to Monticello. Nobody should be out in this frigid weather, especially when your thermostat quits working in your car and you blow a heater hose.   That happened to me 5 years ago when I went to see Samantha Fish in Davenport and had to spend the night there.   Global warming?  Not here, it's the new ice age.

So I got Rocky home safe and he gave me twenty dollars in the process.  Would have done it for less, but us musicians do have to look after each other in times of need.  Especially when it's 20 below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.