Sunday 5 November 2017

Weekend Jams-Acousta Crabby Takes Waubeek

Set list;

O Death
Everybody's Talking
For What's It Worth
Dead Flowers
Summertime Blues
The Last Time (encore)

With
Greg Mein
Brenda Hoskins-Mein

and other jammers.

Waubeek sits on the banks of the Wapsipinicon River about 10 miles away from my place.  Last time I went up there I stayed for a brief moment after doing a Waterloo bargain hunt.  This time I figured I'd give this a go.

The place was packed. They had a Halloween costume night and people dressed up.  I'm not big on packed crowds and at times thought about leaving once again.  It's cold, it's November and FB and Company still have one GD fly that kept bothering me last night and a couple had to bring their youngster up there and believe it or not I had to entertain the poor kid at times.  The couple would bicker and cuss and then cuddle up and make out and then bicker and cuss again.  That was a sign of things to come.

The Costume party was weird and surreal.  A lot of the early jammers came up and did original songs.  Most could not sing. Some couldn't play either.  The electric drums didn't help much.  Trevor Worcel and his dad sat in with Ron LaFleur on his set and they did a interesting version of Billy Jean and concluded with A Thousand Horses's Smoke.  And then he threw a tirade about something and left the place soon afterwards. Trevor got picked up by a young woman who danced with him on a song, I think she was into him but Trevor and his dad wanted to go home.   Some guy butchered The Weight, so Greg ended up doing something else, Heard It In A Love Song, the Tom Petty songs.  I could see myself working with him on something in the future.

Once Mr. Bi Polar left the place, the bar begin to thin out and by the time I got do my set, most of the costume wearing people went home and Big Mo and Dakota were in the process of loading up themselves. So what better way to scare off the people, play O Death.  I might put that song in the archives, but I did that song for shock value. I got another jammer (Daniel I think his name was) to help out on Everybody's Talking and For What's It Worth, Greg Mein came up to play guitar and that song turned out the highlight.  I could have played longer but my Ibanez had other ideas and broke a string on Dead Flowers, the second time that has happened this year which is beginning to irritate me. However, since everybody liked my performance a guy stepped in and I borrowed his Martin for Summertime Blues.

Afterwards, the house band and Greg and his wife Brenda came up to do a few songs and I sang backup to Can't You See and The Last Time, to which Brenda and I did a call and response to his lead vocals.  I thought about doing The Last Time but forgot all about it till Greg sang it.

And after that a big fight erupted between a couple of good ole boys from the city, it started at the door and ended up going around the bar scattering people into the night and chairs went flying. For some reason I started singing The Monster Mash. By the time I left that place Two Linn Country Sheriff cars came racing down the road through the fog. However, the folks at FB and Company were so impressed with my performance that they said they would like to see me back next month.  I may take them up on their offer, providing if it's not too crowded and the good ole boys stay in the city.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.