Thursday 20 August 2020

Artisan Sanctuary-New Kids On The Block.

Songs:

Willin'
Lay Down Sally
Drift Away
At The Crossroads
Curio
Pawnshops Are No Place For A Wedding Ring.

Notes:

A solo performance. instead of having a special guest star.  Freddy Jones played with Phil Bo King, Dave Bonham And Lee Kohl.  Kimberly showed up but then left when she saw Dave coming up beside her.   Had she stayed, she would have been the special guest star.

For the most the new kids that came later stole the show.  A white kid rapped to two spoken pieces, a black guy channeled his inner Leon Bridges/Johnny Legend.  A couple girls did a couple songs that they wrote.  And one girl stole the show with a version of I've Been Everywhere.  Very surprising.

When I came into Marion, I saw the destruction on the old Marion train  depot building, but in front of the building, Lee Kohl was practicing away.

Willin was the only song that got played before, the rest made their debuts but the highlight was getting people to sing along to Drift Away.  There's something about that song that makes people smile and sing away.  That song was dedicated to the couple that requested it at Stone City on Sunday.  I found that using Capo 1, I can actually play the song.  The sole original was Curio, from the No Exit/30 album.  Easy to do in G to D and then to A.

The surprise was Pawnshops, a long, droning slow song from Whiskeytown and one Ryan Adams. It has only verse and one chorus and repeats three times. I shortened it but it still felt long.  Not exactly a fitting end to a setlist that surprised the audience.   If I play it again, it will be in the middle of a set.  I do believe that starting out with Willin' was a good start.  Dave Bonham usually does that song but I traded Everybody's Talking with Willin with him.

Overall, I think I did well even with my perfectionist standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.