Sunday 2 August 2020

Stone City-Mistaken Identity

Stone City Songlist:

Fox On The Run
Lynchin' Party
Ring Of Fire
Just To Satisfy You/
Jet Airliner
Everybody's Talking
Let's Work Together
Cinnamon Girl

2nd Set

(Two Babes And An Crabb)
Kimberly Kirzan-Vocals
Donna Jo Elsner-Vocals and Percussion
Me-guitar and vocals

Gimme One Reason To Stay Here
Gold Dust Woman
Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
Country Roads
Squeeze Box
For What It's Worth
Knocking On Heaven's Door

Kimberly sang on the first three songs.
She also took the Stone City photos.

With:
Carl Meiners, Danny Trumm and wife, Maki Dervo, The two kids from Artisan Sanctuary, David Lam, Katy Merifield  and Morris.



Notes:

A nice clear and cool evening awaited us for the Acoustic get together.  The Rumors Jam was canceled due to a growing concern about the Corvid virus.   It was announced earlier this afternoon so we couldn't celebrate Mike Lint's birthday.  Looks like the indoor jams will not be taking place this month at all.  A lot of musicians are not happy about this, Tommy is ready to fight somebody.  But I did have a sneaking suspicion that some bars would close up shop for another month.  So I might as well do one more bargain hunt in Davenport before staying at home once again.  We shall see.




I couldn't remember how Just To Satisfy You went; I started it out and then couldn't pick up the melody so I went into Jet Airliner instead. I don't think anybody noticed.   I think overall the first set went fairly well.  The newlyweds David and Kimberly showed up later and so she wanted to sing some songs and I would help her out.  She liked my version of Stop Dragging My Heart Around including the power chords at the end of song.  A bit of rust was shown on the Stevie Nicks songs but the harmony vocals on the chorus made it sound awesome.  Gimme One Good Reason was flawless but Take Me One, Country Roads was rough, I missed a few key chord changes but it was the first time I sang it and I took over the vocals for the last three songs.  I hardly play Squeeze Box but I did remember about 80 percent of the words.   Not bad for a first time out.




After I got done playing the second set and sweet looking buxom woman came up to ask if we played any AC DC, I told her I did Shot Down In Flames in practice.  It shouldn't be that hard to learn You Shook Me All Night Long.   Another woman, thanked me for playing mandolin.  But I think she had me confused with Carl Meiners, he played the mandolin with Ken on guitar.  I did let the musician behind me use my guitar on his set since he broke a string on his guitar.  He did a sound job.


(Donna Jo)

The second set wasn't planned but it was billed as Two Babes And A Crabb.  Probably the closest thing to Acoustic Crabbies that we will ever have.  Unless Julie signs up for this.



Friday Night,  Blues Rox played at the JA Tap in North Liberty.  I love the stage, I love the door next to the stage for easy loading and unloading of instruments and their light system but don't like the drum shield.  I couldn't hear nor see Kristopher on the songs.  We started out not on the right page, the first set might have been the worst sets we ever done and I was beginning to wonder if we had anything left in the second set when (surprise) we got somebody to dance to Free Bird, which really did sound fairly well.  My co worker Dan Moyer paid a surprising visit and Freddy Jones came out to hang with the rest of the evening.  We got paid fairly well, which was more shocking.



I decided on this show to use the Paiste cymbal lineup and wasn't that impressed.  The 2002 Medium Crash sounded out of place.  The Signature Mellow China 20 inch was fun.  But I think I'll go back to the K's in future shows.





Kristopher was doing his extended lead break on the end of Voodoo Chile.  And he caught me  when he was wrapping up and I had to dive behind the drums and caught my shoulder on the chain lank fence.  Another Spinal Tap moment..

With not too many folks around, we opted for a more blues focused fourth set, including two Bad Company Brian Howe numbers.   Somehow, the owner of the J A Tap, said he would like to have us back there, if and when things get back to normal.

But that might be a while, way things are going.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.