Sunday 19 September 2021

Rumors-Al's 84th Birthday Bash

Terry McDowell-Host

First set:

I Got My Mojo Working
Hit The Road, Jack
Love Me Like A Man
Gold Dust Woman
Further Up The Road
Stop Dragging My Heart Around
Drift Away

Kat Blue-Vocals
Billy Bourbon-Co Lead Vocal on Hit the Road Jack, Guitar
Tommy Bruner-Lead Guitar and counter vocal on Stop Draggin my heart Around
Maurice Morris-Guitar
Tim Canfield-Bass
R. Smith-Drums

Second Set:

Unchain My Heart
My Babe
Daddy's Home
Snatch And Grab
Rip It Up




Al Hendrix-Vocals and Guitar
Frank Gasler-Vocal and Guitar
Maurice Morris-Guitar 
Tim Canfield-Bass
R. Smith-Drums
Randy Faulkner and Skeeter Louis-Backing vocals on Daddy's Home




A special day to celebrate our favorite legend Al Hendricks.  So I didn't do the Stone City open mic (Lane Gaffney may have returned today).  So I got to play two extended sets.  One with Kimberly singing and the other with Al and his guitar playing buddy from the Good, Bad And Ugly days, (his name escapes me).  It was also Donna Jo's birthday today.  A lovely 62 years old.  Tami Mennick took this shot of Frank and Al doing that song everybody talks about.  Snatch And Grab, but I'm sure it's under a different title. 

It was a surprise to see Randy Faulkner come up there and a bigger surprise not to see him play drums. But he did sing backup to Daddy's Home when Al sang it.  He hasn't played drums since the breakup of the band he was in a couple years ago and ended up marrying Jean Gilmore.  If it's true, it's a shame that he isn't playing drums.  He had such a light touch to play the drums.

DJ Hovenstot was the other drummer that showed up.  But it was true that Terry had to play through last week's jam due to no drummers there.  Which is the first time I have heard that ever happened at Rumors.

With the Cedar Rapids Kernels clinching the playoff spot, I'm going to have to cancel playing a jam this week.  Probably will be the Artisan Open Mic Jam since game 1 is Tuesday in the best of five series.  I may have to truck it back to Davenport on Saturday.

The Molly Nova/Turk E Krause band is coming into shape.  Corey Baker has been tapped as the guitar player joining Molly and Turk and Floyd Latta.  You'll be hearing more from them in 2022. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.