Saturday 9 March 2019

Boy Scout Hippies at F B Company Waubeek 3/9/19


(Cali Jean Blake, Ron LaFleur ,Mr. Smith, Dakota McWhorter.  Or Ron and the Hired Help Band)


I have been stuck with walking phenomena ever since Sunday.  I got a shot for that and my arm is sore as hell.  I'm also dealing with issues at work.  Everybody has been bitchy and we have been up to our ears in work but the F B Company show was planned three months in advance.  I have to hand it to our main boss for working double shifts to get the work out and I have never seen our place of employment to be this chaotic.  It didn't help being sick right off the bat.

I just rather sleep the day away if I can stop this motherfucking coughing.  When you only get 25 minutes of sleep, you tend to really get annoyed at the slightest thing.  Nevermind our senior bitching and clock watching and then gets her clock cleaned out for taking too many smoke breaks.  It's not the best of times and it's only week one of Spring Processing.   So to be an excuse for making the 10 oclock news the wrong way.

I've been trying to promote this gig on various Facebook music sites and getting the the usual indifference and ridicule from the ignorant.  This time out from some double chinned fool from Pennsylvania

"Come see Boy Scout Hippies play FB Company in Waubeek Iowa this Saturday from 7-11"

Whoever Dano Grille was/is made a few unflattering remarks about location and maybe reaching the six children of the corn,  And somebody called him being Mr. No Cool over that. Thanks Dan Artuni tor trying to explain the rules to the clueless.

So I was going to copy and paste the exchange but somebody at Cover Bands Central decided to take the promotion off.  So we won't be getting the Children of the corn coming to tonight's show after all.  And I left that group.  They're weren't helping at all.  They probably hurt the cause more tho'.

I'm not a big fan of the Facebook band promotions anyway.  Tho' DJ and Bob Miller did show up to play the Waubeek Jam, I hardly get anybody to show up to any of our gigs.  Of course the weather has been shit all year and I'm dealing with yet another fucking rain storm for tonight, and having walking Phenomia doesn't help either.    But Ron wanted me to finish tonight's show and I hope I don't let him down.  But the anger fueled from dealing with Dano Grille's Adam Sandler's antics on the promotion. might make this something to remember me by.  We'll see.

Notes;

Nick Lnenicka joined us for some wild harmonica playing and he did return the microphone that David Lam was looking for last week.   For the first time since the Ok Lounge Tyrus Dec 7th 1984 show, I played with reckless abandon, to which both Ron and Dakota were quite surprised of the results that we seen.  The cheap ass freebie cymbal stand that Uncle Ike's threw in on that Tama set that I bought a few years ago, would not stay tighten and the cymbal fell three times in one set.  I managed to have a drumstick get stuck in one of the S Cymbal's hole which drew a few laughs and giggles.  One of the cymbals got revenge on me and slash my finger but I survived, it was the first time this has happen since coming out of retirement.    However, we had a great crowd, and most of them stayed till the end.

I played great despite being stuck with the persistent cough and sweating and Ron went through four shirts, he sweats more than anybody I've seen.  For not practicing for three weeks thanks to my wonderful place of employment and being sick with walking Phoenomia we sounded good. I kinda wish that they would have held off on Can't You See till the end but still the people were so much in awe of what they seen.

For three hours we gave it our all.  The trick is to hang on to what Ron was putting down on the groove and let things work itself out.  After which we all hugged each other and thanked them for allowing me to hang with them during the worst three months of winter ever on record.  They got a new drummer for next week at Aces N Eights and while I'm happy for them to continue to play on, this gives me time to go back to my regular suck job and try to help a sinking company.  For now, I'm not playing jams due to work issues and being sick doesn't help either.

But I give Ron credit for being honest and up front.  He treated me great and like a member of the band and he came through the with the payouts.  And he was flexible for me to practice when I could.  This is probably not the end of my tenure with them and the door is always open.  Great drummers will leave an impression to always waltz back into the drum chair.  I do hope that Ron considers me to be one of the best drummers to ever play his music.  I knew about three years ago when he showed up at Rumors that we would cross paths in the future.  I have no arguments with him and consider him to be a friend. The Boy Scout Hippies will continue to get better and with a new drummer a new chapter will evolve.

But in my temporary position with them, I think I left a lasting legacy.
Probably longer than Dano Grille.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.