Saturday 23 March 2019

Boy Scout Hippies-Whiskey River 3/23/19

With

Ron LaFluer
Cali Jean Blake
Dakota McWhorter
Nick Lenicka

Cymbals Used:

14 Inch K Dark Crash
16 A Zildjian Rock Crash
16 S Zildjian Trash/Crash
19 Armand Ride

Quick Beat hi hats.


(Diana Koening Photo Credit)  (Ron Lafleur and Cali Jean Blake)

I changed to a smaller cymbal lineup simply of the fact of looking for some accented cymbals than what the 18 inch Crash Ride and 20 Sizzle Ride could offer.

I used ear plugs simply of the fact that I deal with tinnitus on a constant basis and I've been playing the price ever since crashing cymbals left and right 40 years ago.  Plus, the band is known for playing loud.

We had a good crowd and the place was 3/4th full. A few people danced, plenty of young drunk chicks also made it to the floor but to this old coot, I'm too old for them anyway.  I might be too old for their moms.

I think we did the best version of Can't You See, tho' I'm sure somebody recorded it and stuck it out there on the net.  Perhaps Fran LaFleur managed to capture the moment.  She captured a few others but they were not playing in my instant messenger. Except for one missed cymbal crash I managed to keep up with Ron on that rare occasion.

I remain committed to my regular job which I had to bow out of future gigs with The Boy Scout Hippies, Ron scored a couple more in May and July.  I'm remain adamant that I was there on a temporary basis and maybe if Ron catches me at a weak moment I may return to help them again.  I want to complete the next Townedger album as well as continue to do my acoustic guitar adventures. But I'm a lazy sod at practice and leery of any more drum openings, it's a shame that I didn't have this many offers about 35 years ago, but somewhere down the line, I'll be pounding away at a BSH gig this summer.  But I did tell Ron to give the new drummer, whoever he may be, a fighting chance.  If he's available to practice and play on weeknights go with him.  It seemed that Jeff, the drummer who played CRL didn't do a good job.  I would suggest Mike Lint, but he's more schizophrenic about his commitments more than me.   I had to turn down a offer to play for another AC DC tribute band.  I rather not play Back In Black since radio plays it every day.   Still, it's nice to be considered to play for another band since people think I do pretty good playing drums.  So far, Ron has promised at least a 100 dollars for everytime we play and delivered.  And he's been fair.   Which somewhere down the line, I'm sure we'll be on stage sooner than later.

Phil Bo and his wife, plus Katy Merrifield showed up.

I went into town earlier to catch Chain Reaction, the local band with Rocky Smith playing drums and managed to sit in on one song.  Can't You See was the song. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.