Tuesday 26 March 2019

Parlor City Blues Jam With The Cranky Blues Hall Of Famer

With:

Dave Bonham-Lead Guitar and Vocals
Tom Giblin-Keyboards
Frederick Jones-Harmonica
Mark Awad-Bass
Dan Hartman-Guitar and Vocals on Call Me The Breeze and I'm Ready
Dave Morris-Guitar

Dan Johnson, Jeff Petersen and Bob Dorr were the hosts along with Gibby.
George Hanna and The Briles Family was there too.


Notes:

Still hacking and coughing, this fucking walking cold refuses to go away.  It was a light load at work so I managed to get the night off and hang with the boys for a while.  I'm learning how to slow things down with Gibby.  I think for the first time the slower songs actually worked for a change.

I'm not sure what songs Dave sang but Mark and I started out on a little blues excursion and then Dave did a couple of shuffle blues.  I'm surprised that I did so well despite the fucking coughing every five seconds.  Sure hope nobody else gets it.

A light crowd and light jammers tho' Drum Shop Mike was there.  We chatted for a spell and then talk about musical things with Dan Johnson.   I have yet to jam with Dan, for the last few Parlor City jams, I ended up with Mark Awad, fellow Wapsi Dreamer and bass player extraordinaire.  Dave played Ramey's earlier in the evening and then came to join us.  Which meant I didn't get to play with Jeff Petersen, of the Limestoners/Blue Band.

Being a fellow drummer, I have to respect the wishes of the host drummer and make adieu with what they have and have set up.  I don't not change anything, tho' there are some that will mess up the host drums.  A big turnoff I know.  Bob Dorr's cymbal lineup is that he's got the 18 inch crash ride down below my knees, and of course he told me in no uncertain terms not to mess with that.  To which I smiled in agreement, patted him on the back and thanked him for letting me play his drums.  And then withheld giving him 20 dollars for his IPTV donation that's happening right now.

Over the years I have always been a big fan of his radio shows and supported his Blue Band from time to time and his jams, and thought about leaving a good chunk of my record and cd collection to him but he tends to be a old crank.  He certainly showed that tonight.

He's a good harmonica player, one of the best, his drumming, that's another story. His version of Good Morning Little School Girl wasn't one for the record books and the melody he should have sang Howling For My Baby/Howling Wolf.  But it's a jam.  While he did provide that one pair of matching drum sticks, I bought my own.  Just common courtesy that's all.  And I played within the constraints of a gentle blues jam, no showing off, just keep the beat and keep it down.  I could see the glare of Dorr's eyes through darken sunglasses but I kept playing.  I thought about thanking him afterwards but he seemed to be in a hurry to leave Parlor City, so I kept my distance.  When  a famous hall of famer rubs you the wrong way, you tend to not back his efforts or jams.  I like Bob's music shows but I don't foresee us having dinner anytime soon, or making it up to  the Cedar Falls Blues Jam on Thursday Nights.  

He wouldn't have the time of day for me anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.