Wednesday 27 March 2019

Checker's Acoustic Showcase 3/27/19 Glen's Return

Songlist:


Floodlands
Go Out And Get It
For What Its Worth
Cinnamon Girl
Let's Work Together



(Glen Gardner; Photo Credit)

Notes:


I have a mixed outlook when it comes to meeting famous people or well known musicians and radio personalities.   And it goes back of meeting Ed Podolak, the famed Iowa running back and former Kansas City Chief, now Iowa football broadcaster.   Around 1972 I think, he was down at Armstrongs or Smelokoff's and it was a meet and greet and we waited in line to see him.  He was handing out pictures and mentioning that he don't do autographs and basically was told to move on down the line.  The first disappointment that I met in my life.  After dealing with Bob Dorr's antics the other night,  I pretty much put him in the same league as Podolak.   For many years of seeing him play in the Blue Band and hearing him on the radio, I was wrestling whether or not he was a good guy or a douche cookie.  Great harmonica player indeed but his people skills leave a lot to be desired.  If you're a well known blues player or hall of famer he'll give you the time of day but if you're anybody else, you're wasting his time.  After last night and watching him scowl from the back of the bar and being anti social, I concluded he is a douche cookie.

I had fun and laughs with other musicians who are well known, most are friendly and will talk music with you..  I've dealt with egotistical ones and played in some bands with them, you can't please them all, but what you try to do is be cordial around them and respect their wishes.  No matter how much of a prick they can be.

With another night at work not too busy, I managed to return to Checker's to play for the first time in a month and had to borrow Steve Black Wolf's guitar for my five song set.  It was great to see Cathy Hart again and Jeff Gage and Donna Jo and Bill.  Kevin Moore hosted and we had more jammers this time than last month when I was the only one there. Without my songbook, I went with songs I could remember the words with, which were the usual ones, tho' Floodlands led the set off.   Kevin recorded For What Its Worth.

Glen Gardner and Lauren were back in town for three weeks, basically to finalize their sale of their home, get rid of unwanted things and then head back to Arizona on April 20.  But they gave me a hat and a Navajo magnet to hang on the fridge.  I know I will miss both of them when they leave but it might give me a incentive to go visit them in AZ sometime in the future.

I did okay on the vocals, tho' a bit gruff and gravelly.  But at least I didn't cough up a lung unlike last night at Parlor City.  But this flu crap refuses to give up.  Therefore, it's back to the Nyquil and about 4 different night time cold and flu pills.  It's either going to cure or kill me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.