Sunday 24 March 2019

Stone City 3/24/19

Songs played

Good Time Charlie
Let's Work Together
Tulsa Time
Bobby McGee
Ring Of Fire

With

Richard Budde-Drums
Sharon Eide  sang on Bobby McGee


(While Angie Marie didn't take any of my performance, she managed to snap this photo of Dave Bonham, Lenny Drake, Richard Budde and Danny Dias playing together-it's always fun to catch Lenny Drake playing a song or two)

That rare occasion that I played earlier than usual.  Had to, I was going to meet Russ and Debby at the Cancun so they can celebrate my birthday, two months later.  Weather and illness were the reason why we didn't get together sooner.  I don't hold much hope that John Field will join the band; he's living in Iowa City and can't drive and neither Russ and myself want to drive the extra miles to pick him up back and forth.

But we had a good dinner despite shitty service.  Good thing Russ knows most of the owners of the Cancun. This was the third straight time I got lousy service from the waitress.

The original plan was to go to Rumors and hang there but at the last moment I decided to bop on over to Stone City and do a early set.  Dick Budde bought his drumset, so I used him on my set list.  Mostly 4/4 stuff with let Budde play to the guitar and provide the beat.  As a drummer, I don't mind other drummers playing alongside me, in fact I actually enjoy it.  Dick was a bit loud and erratic on other's songs, but I think he did quite well on the songs I sang.

Again, I chose songs that people would enjoy hearing and yes everybody sang along to Tulsa Time and Ring Of Fire, and I even had Lane Gaffney cracking me up from behind the soundboard playing drums to Let's Work Together.  On Bobby McGee, Sharon popped up to help on backing vocals. Kim Trevillion was in the house and we could have done Gold Dust Woman to finish things up, but I decided on ending with Ring Of Fire, and left Everybody's Talking to Dave Bonham to play on his own.

Those in Attendance: Bill Schlatter, Danny Dias, Guy Petersen, Dave Bonham, Sharon, Maki Dervo, Lenny Drake, Angie Marie, Adam Keith, The Smith Kids.

Next week, Glen Gardner said he'll be back in town to play Stone City.  Carl Meiners will follow in a couple more weeks.  The hope is to hang with Glen a few more times before he returns back to the desert. I'd love to go visit him out there this summer.  Doubt if I'll get there tho'.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.