Saturday 2 March 2019

Waubeek Jam With David Lam 3/2/19

Songs:

Knocking On Heaven's Door
Let's Work Together
Old Time Rock And Roll
Rock Me Baby
Dead Flowers
Ever So Much (Attempted)
I Won't Back Down
For What Its Worth

With:

David Lam-Bass
Nick Lenicka-Harmonica
DJ Hovenstot-Drums
Bob Miller-Drums
Sharon-Backing vocal on Knocking On Heaven's Door
Dave Bonham-Guitar


Notes:

It was the first time I got to host a jam.  Maki Dervo had to work early so he couldn't stay the whole five or six hours, however, we didn't have many jammers and it was all over before midnight.  I didn't plan on singing anything, but once Dave Bonham got done with his set, we still have about an hour left, so I came up and did my best to do songs that I remember the words to.  Alas, the drummer, can't think of his name, couldn't play Ever So Much, so I had to abort that one song.  And I Won't Back Down I haven't practiced in about two months.  David Lam, helped me out on bass and Nick stayed a while to play harmonica up to Rock Me Baby.

It was nice to  see DJ and Sir Bob Miller come out from Cedar Rapids to help play drums.

I only played drums on

Kiss An Angel Good Morning
Sweet Magnolia Blossom
A Thing Called Love
Stairway To Heaven

David Lam-Guitar and vocals (the first three)
Dave Bonham-Guitar and vocals (stairway to heaven)

I did bring the drums but we had four other drummers besides me, DJ and Sir Bob so everybody got to play my drums.  A rumor's vibe so to speak.  Unlike last month, when I played three and a half hours.  I played more using David's guitar on the final songs we played.  David had a beautiful Martin guitar.  It worked fine for me.

No shows included Ron and Dakota,  Phil Bo King (mainly his wife's getting into trouble last night has kept them away)  Chuck, Lenny and Nelson  were not there either.  Steve O's been gone for the past three months it seems.   Greg and Brenda Mein were in sunny Georgia, and away from the crappy weather.  Surprisingly, it didn't snow like it has been the past five weekends.  The major snowstorm stayed south of here for a change.

Meanwhile Julie and Ryan soldered on with Lisa Harbit and played Bo Macs, in front of a pretty good crowd.  They made more money than I did hosting the Waubeek Jam, David just gave me a twenty for gas money and putting up with other drummers using my kit.  After paying the waitress for root beer and two maid rites, my pay was 3.20.   Hardly a money making deal but I had fun and mingled with the crowd.   Yeah I would have made a few dollars more with Dreams Of Arcadia, but David was first in line and I figured I'd help him out.  Perhaps another return to Bo Macs will have me behind the congas but I don't pressure Julie or Ryan on this. I benefit from dating her. I think.

I don't look at my music and drum playing as a money making venture but an extension of my hobby. If I get paid, fine, but most of the jams I show up and play a couple songs and go home.  This time, I loaded the drums in the car, got there at around 6:30 and set the drums up, and grabbed a couple maid rites and took things in stride.  I had some goofy guy asking if this was a karaoke bar, told him it's karaoke with real instruments.  He wanted to sing Amos Moses by Jerry Reed but nobody knew it and he and his gang moved on about an hour later.

I think my set was the most rocking. At least we had some people dancing.  Since I didn't have my notebook of music, I relied on songs that I somewhat knew the lyrics to. With Captain Kirksey not there, it gave us a chance to close up the jam early.  I was home about fifty minutes later.

Very unlike the usual Waubeek Jam.

This concludes my jamming for a while.  I had two gigs left with Boy Scout Hippies but they decided to find another drummer.   I really didn't have the time to sit and practice with them.  I think Ron did treated me with respect and did his best to accommodate me with practice time, but I said in the beginning this was a temporary fill in role and surprised I made it this far.  And he did pay me very well. I wish them the best of luck and perhaps when I get time I'll make it to one of their gigs in town

And for the first time all year, We had no snow on Saturday or Sunday.  .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.