Sunday 20 October 2019

The Fifth Annual Kyle Oyloe Jam

Songs:

Gimme Shelter
Before You Accuse Me
All Along The Watchtower
Give Me One Good Reason

Ron Lafleur-Lead vocal and guitar
Dakota McWhorter-Lead guitar and vocal
Jeff Craft-Keyboards
Ryan Paul-Congas

Me And Bobbie MaGee
Old Time Rock n Roll
Little Sister
What's Up



Julie Gordon-Lead vocal and acoustic guitar
Dakota McWhorter-Lead Guitar
Dave Bonham-Lead Guitar
Ryan Paul-Keyboards  and harmonica

Rumble

Brook Hoover-Lead Guitar
Stu Fondle-Guitar
Tim Canfield-Bass
DJ Hovenstot-Drums


Running With The Devil
Breaking The Law
What I Like About You



Julie Gordon-Lead vocals
Dakota McWhortor-guitar
Stu Fondle-Lead Guitar (Devil, Law)
Billy Bourbon-Guitar (What I Like About You)
Ryan Paul-Keyboards and harmonica

Various percussion by Bob Miller, DJ, Ryan Paul, Jeff Craft, Ronnie Boles, Billy Bourbon

Randy Burghdoff-Bass on all songs
R.Smith-Drums on all songs (except Rumble, which played congas)

Terry McDowell-Host of the show and provided drums
Tommy Bruner-Host guitar player that sat out on the songs



Mike Serbousek was supposed to play drums on the final set of three songs but he took off.  I got to jam with Stu Fondle for a rare occasion, tho it wasn't Silver Machine but rather Running With The Devil and Breaking The Law.  Such a down to earth rocker he is.

For the first time since March, I backed up Ron and Dakota, except for the mess up to Watchtower, it seemed like old times.

We had plenty of jammers and about 10 drummers at one time, but somehow I managed to do about 11 numbers and popped up on congas for Brook's Rumble.

Both Julie and Tami Soukup were still dealing with the cold. Julie got nailed again by her room mate.

Also, it was the first time that I backed up both Boy Scout Hippies and Dreams Of Arcadia on the same day.  That probably will not happen again.

Got to hear Mark Randoph's new band Country Vibrations.  I think this was the band Mark wanted me to play drums but I declined since I was back to working evenings. I told him that Mike would be the better choice.  I think Steve Black Wolf was thinking of doing something with Mike Zhone, the vocalist but nothing ever did happened.  Their debut had some rough spots but I'm sure in due time they will get better.

No shows included Buddy Archbremmer, Kevin Michel from the Mad Dogs fame, Joel McDowell, and if Quinten Durate was there he didn't play.  Belinda James popped in for a few minutes as well as John Hernandez.  I'm surprised Herman Sarduy didn't show up.  Wildcat Spratt has been missing of late as well.

I was surprised to play this many songs with so many drummers around.  Julie wanted to do her original along with Fly Like An Eagle but that didn't come into play.   Bird wasn't familiar with the songs and the way that Ron plays but he did eventually found his own groove. I think the loudness of the songs did get the best of him but on stage, and like a true professional, he played it tight.  I simply followed him.

But afterwards, I managed to finally tabbed all the songs that I did while chatting with Al Hendrichs who mentioned I played my best tonight (he usually says that) and he'd love to have me in his band playing drums and making him sound good.  For his 82 years of living and over 6 decades of rocking with various bands, he is a legend, at his age he doesn't go out and see new bands but considers Rumors to be his home to play his four or five songs.  It's a shame that I ignored playing after Tyrus disbanded, had I been more outgoing, I could probably make a living playing drums.  I did tell Al that in my time of knowing him and Randy, I got better by listening to them and following the musicians on stage.  I always had some of the best out there on stage, Dan Johnson comes to mind, Tim Canfield another but I have never held on to somebody as much as I have when Randy plays.  Randy does know if I tend to speed up without knowing it.  I still play with rude tenacity but nowadays it's more refined.  The Paraphernalia Tyrus era, The Routers era, the Route 66 era. it was overkill.  Bird has showed me that I don't need to take over the band but "Keep It Simple Stupid" as Al would say.

Julie took a few videos including Gimme Shelter.  I sure look animated playing the drums but I swear I wasn't hitting them that hard.  Looks can be deceiving.

And no Fleetwood Mac songs were attempted tonight. :O

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.