Sunday 6 October 2019

Waubeek/Stone City Overview

The Waubeek All Stars

Kris Briles
Brian Briles
Nelson Borden
Dave Bonham
Maki Dervo
Carl Meiners
Dave Lam
Dougie Koviak
The Banjo Man
Captain Kirksey

It was Kris's show.  He and his dad Brian were one of the few jammers that showed up.  I think in some ways this was their audition and if they decide to return back to Waubeek to play, I'm sure they will go over quite well.  They played for an hour, then we had the banjo guy come up and then Carl and Maki did their set.  The Briles returned to play an encore, by then Dave showed up.

Kris, like myself, goes for the extended jam and solo, Dave cut him short on Cold Shot.  I didn't like that much myself, however Dave did show Kris how to play Born Under a Bad Sign.  Thank goodness Kris n Brian showed up.  Otherwise, I would have been home by one.

Which didn't happen. Kirksey showed up, which meant we played till about 1 45 AM, which at that point, Nelson and myself begin to tear down and go home for the night.   But a lot of no shows tonite, No Phil Bo King, no Steve Thearaux, no Lenny Drake and no Ground Chuck either.   Dave Jacobsen was in the audience, he was a drummer but he didn't play.  Some drunk wanted to play drums but after five more beers they had to help him to the door.   Maki did play some drums but it was another five hours of drum practice for myself.


Stone City song list.

Tulsa Time
Drawn In The Dark
Sundown
Ring Of Fire
Let's Work Together

Lane Gaffney-part time vocal on Tulsa Time

A different set of songs, Lane requested Tulsa Time so that led off my set.  I didn't do the usual ones, thinking I was going to do an encore but the General Store got filled up and I was trying to recover from the Waubeek Jam.  And I passed on the Rumor's Jam.   I wasn't feeling all the best and afterward had the bright idea of grabbing some Mexican food.  Which turned out to be a mistake.

Bless Bill Sclatter for saying that was one of my best performances ever.  I think I have done better, Drawn In The Dark was dusted off for the first time since May of 2018.  I am not sure why the song was put on the back burner, perhaps it was close to sounding like Sundown or Go Out And Get It. It is a more complicated song with the slide lead at the beginning or hook chorus.

Dougie, Maki and Carl came out to play.  Dougie still looked the worst of wear but I do think I was feeling a bit more burned out than all three of them.  Maki sang his signature songs Dead's Man Shirt and Whiplash. A couple of musicians came from Cedar Falls and Dubuque to play.  As well as Ed Butler who came up from Coralville to do his eclectic batch of songs.  Kimberly took the day off.  Lane said he did learn the melody to Gold Dust Woman to play for Kim to sing.  He may have to wait till next week to try that one out.

So with the Stone City acoustic showcase, my summer of jams comes to a close.  I'm pretty much struck with going back to work, getting ready for fall processing.  There'll might be some sporadic along the way but I'm not at liberty to say when or where.   While I heard of some negative grumblings about the Cabin Jam, I had a good time myself.   In the near future, I might have a couple of guest star appearances with Dreams Of Arcadia or Notes From The Underground, or probably The Briles.  It's been fun but I do think I have to follow the money so that bills get paid off.  However, if I get to feeling better, who knows I'll return sooner than expected.

We'll see where the road leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.