Wednesday 30 October 2019

Thoughts From The Townedger October 2019

Can you believe this shit.  We had two snowstorms this week and it's not even November yet.  What I hate about this state. The snow didn't end in April and now it's back.  I hate to fathom that we gonna have fucking snow on the ground till April.  Meanwhile, California burns to the ground and we get snow.  I fucking hate white Halloweens, just like I hate white Thanksgiving as well.

The peak fall processing season has curtailed my week night jams and I told Julie I couldn't play percussion for the Nov 1 Dirty Shirley Gig with Dreams Of Arcadia but I can probably help them out when they play Monticello later in November.   With Tennessee fucking up our Christmas time off, it's hard to figure if and when I'll get back into playing.  On December 21, I will probably piss off my place of employment bosses and be playing drums for Blue Rox, which is Brian and Kris Briles and it's in Norway at their only bar.   Let's hope to fuck that it doesn't snow.

I have no patience when it comes to cold and snow.  We had way too much of that earlier this year and having two snowstorms in November was the unraveling of me. In `1995 we had about six inches of the white crap but yet had a brown Christmas.  With more gigs coming in the winter, it makes life hell dealing with ice and snow.  Even with the Earth getting warmer, our winters are getting colder. Not exactly a good trade off.







With me playing in jams, The Townedgers have been put on hold.  I have song ideas but not enough to warrant a new album.  Over the weekend, before the snows hit, I did get together with Geoff Redding and Robert Knowles to go over Diamonds In The Skies to see if we can play that record in its entirety but i come to find a couple songs I rather not do anymore.   Jubilee, done 3 years ago was a live album and at this point if anything came out, it would be live in the studio revisiting classics.  But to be honest, nobody in the band is that enthused about doing yet another version of Running In The Rain or Shove That Snow Up Your Ass And Bring Back The Sunshine or It's So Hard.  But I do record songs in event of playing them live when I go acoustic jamming.



My drumming services have been requested of late and that's where I usually go.  It pays better than The Townedgers.   I know about a couple years ago Lisa Fox asked me to take in a band project and that never happened.  The reason was simple, she employs a great drummer in Dreamer's Edge, he's a lot more intense and more rocking than I am and better suited for her needs.  I wouldn't mind working with her tho.  She's a very good and savvy vocalist.  Most certainly in my top five female vocalists in town.   I make no secret that Julie is my favorite and best vocalist in town.  She delivers, even when sick. 



The next band I'm working with is Brian and Kris Briles band, Blues From The Briles now renamed Blue Rox, a play on Blues and Rock.  For being 18 years old, Kris has progressed into a up and coming blues player.  And will happy to help them out on the weekend if need be.   I managed to sub in fun bands, Notes From The Underground, Boy Scout Hippies, Dreams Of Arcadia, Blue Scratch.  I do hope that they can score a gig at Parlor City or Q Dogs or Stone City/Waubeek.   We'll see in 2020 but I do think there's potential for Kris to become a prime time guitar slinger like Craig Erickson or Daddy O.

So what is the difference between Blues Rox or Boy Scout Hippies or Dreams Of Arcadia?  Kris is the up and coming musician.  While most of us are in our 50's and beyond, Kris is just beginning in his journey of music and Blues Rox is the stepping stone to the next level of music.  I always believe there's a purpose in what I do and where I fit in playing in bands.   Kris is not afraid to extend the jam and improvise.  My music and my bands have always been that way, extending the music and not playing the song the same way twice.  Even if Guitar Dave disagrees, I believe if creating your own version of the songs out there and make them your own.  I do not play by the record nor arrangements, I go by feel and where it leads.   With DOA and our project Acousta Crabbies, Julie prefers the arrangements to what she learn from Kyle Oyloe.  Since I don't play like Kyle, I go with a more loose style and messing with the songs as we go along.  Basically I'm a drummer playing guitar in a rhythmic style.  In past blogs I have stated my beliefs on both DOA and BSH, that Julie is a natural to be a lead singer in a rock band, that Ron can be fun to watch and jam with.  In the past six months, I have gotten comfortable in playing the songs that go over at Stone City on guitar and I'd rather back somebody up playing drums rather than lead a band playing guitar and singing my songs. I don't draw the crowds well on the latter.  I still believe if Kris keeps progressing with each performance, he has the chance to be a top notch blues guitar player.  He's probably the closest person to a Stevie Ray Vaughn that I have seen yet in my time of playing, and the youngest too.



I'm all for Julie playing in Everlou.  I think she needs a band that best suit her needs and show off her talents.  Dreams Of Arcadia she mixes well with Ryan.   Ryan is very talented on the keyboards n guitar.  But there are times that the Dr. Ryan is replaced by Mr. Paul, and he had done things that had made other musicians avoid him.   In the two years of knowing him, we haven't had any falling out but then again I go with the flow I try not to make waves.  She's very good at fronting a band.  I'd like to see that more often from her.  Ryan usually gets into trouble when he goes days without sleeping.  He owns Arcadia Tire and Julie really has helped him out.    Four years after Kyle's passing I think she's looking more of a take charge guy that will guide her through her musical adventures.  I do my best to encourage her to keep it going.   I could fill in for Everlou if need be but that's not my call, nor I will suggest such a thing.



I still can't believe that I did back Boy Scout Hippies and Dreams Of Arcadia during the Kyle tribute jam.  A reason why I gave Terry McDowell an extra pair of drumsticks for my way of saying thanks to him.  I didn't play Sunday simply of the fact, I was having lower back pain and was feeling a bit run down.

When I was younger, I had this arrogance about being the best there is and ever will be. Turns out I didn't know jack shit.  I learned more about the music scene these past four years than I ever did back in the Paraphernalia Tyrus years.  Every band was out there busting their ass and making a name for themselves.  I stayed in the basement and played pretend rock star with my low fi tapes. I do think most of those low fi recordings do stand up.   If they didn't I wouldn't be playing them 30 years onward.



There's a Rod Smith running for mayor in Anamosa and he won the majority of votes.  I congratulate him on his victory.  And no, that's not me that won, I live out in Stone City.  But I thank him for letting me use the above photobomb for entertainment purposes.

Mark Randolph is a talented musician, but he has never really stayed together in any project.  The Egads probably the longest he's ever been with, but his departure from Country Vibrations is not a surprise. He bolted from Dark Agenda too.  While he has thought highly of me to suggest I should play in the above named bands, he's not trustworthy. I can't have that in a band mate.  I'm bi polar as it is, we don't need two bi polar people in the same band.

Will Checker's ever get a Wednesday Night Acoustic Jam going again? Not at the moment tho I'm sure PJ will attempt another go at that in the springtime next year at the earliest. Or if ever.

Tami Soukup and Billy Bourbon provided some of the jam photos, the Blues Rox photo comes from the Briles, and a couple of public domain are in this end of the month observation.  As well as a self portrait  as well.   God willing, I shall return the same time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.