Thursday 17 May 2018

Checker's Jam 5/16/18

Since I was stuck at work, celebrating my 30th anniversary, The Checker's Acoustic Jam with Julie and Dave continued on.  With the Bacon Jam going on over at Silver Star Saloon, people have to pick and choose which one to go to.  I find myself more inclined to continue to support the efforts of Julie as well as Cathy and Lorie on alternative Wednesday Nights as I continue to go more in playing guitar and singing my own songs.   It's true that the paying music scene isn't what it used to be but in my case it never happened much, if at all.  But just about any night, there's a jam taking place. Even on Monday Nights, the Mill in Iowa City has a acoustic jam.  Maybe some day I'll take part in that.

I couldn't make it, and I'm sure there wasn't many folks there but I do know that the ones who showed up gave their best to support the efforts of Julie and Dave.   I will acknowledge Terry's jams and support him by letting the music world know about The Bacon Jam or Wess Side Jam at Rumors, but Julie's efforts come first.   As well as Cathy and Lorie's jam night as well.  The Acousta Kitties, all three of them convinced me to play guitar and sing.

This week the jams have to take a backseat to work,  The Artisan Sanctuary Thursday Night jam.  Julie and Ryan play Ramsey's Thursday Night that I can't make either.   As for Sunday, I'm not sure where the road leads.



In the meantime, in my absence the gang got together and sang on a few songs, namely Suite: Judy Blue Eyes.  From left to right, it's Steve Black Wolf, Dave Bonham, Glen Gardner, Julie Gordon and Donna Jo Eisner on stage.   I thought I give them a shout out.

The next night Dreams Of Arcadia played an almost three hour set with no breaks.  This is what Julie lives for, to play and rock on till it's quitting time.  And still keep going.



Other things (The Tyrus/Paraphernalia rumored reunions)

It was 3 years ago at my ex high school sweetheart's reception that most of the guys from Tyrus/Paraphernalia came together for one night.  Which became the catalyst for me to return back to the music scene.  Usually our lead singer Mike will complain about not being invited, or didn't know about it.  Fact was Dennis was passing through town and did get the word out via Facebook.  My guess was Mike was doing Karaoke, probably at Checkers.  But he was invited.

For the Paraphernalia reunion. Russ was always a part of that band, which is easier to say it's a better chance for a band reunion rather than Tyrus, which is me, Russ, Mike, and Dennis.  Dennis flies now and hasn't played guitar in over 20 years.  Will Sigsbee was part of Tyrus but he's now CEO up in Minnesota and we haven't kept touch since bouncing him from the band in summer of 1984.  Shawn Ster was guest star, but I have actually kept in better touch with him during my acoustic guitar jams at various places.  He's been dealing with some health issues but from time to time he'll make it to a jam.

I've done reunions with various guys in the band, Russ back in August of 2015, DeWayne a few times at Rumors and even with Doug Spinler on my birthday bash at Checkers this year, the first time we shared the stage together playing guitars rather than me on drums.  I haven't done anything with Mike since a 1993 blues jam at Attitudes, to which I wasn't playing drums regularly and it sounded like so.  Mike did help with The Routers in 1992 when we played the annual Hal Staley' barn dance.  He's retired from music, if he does anything it's Karaoke and I'm not a fan of that.  I need to sing with real instruments.  Russ did throw out a invite for a jam with the guys in a couple weeks and I did put the word out.  I don't hold much hope about Tyrus ever reuniting on stage again and I'm sure Russ would rather play golf than music but I still believe we'll get together.

Will Julie figured into Paraphernalia?   She has Dreams Of Arcadia, she has Dave Bonham, and even Julie And The Mad Dogs might be resurrected. And she has the Wednesday Checkers Acoustic Jam every other week.  She does find the time to do a couple songs with me at jams and I like that arrangement.  She's welcome to join in on the fun if and when it happens.  But I do tell her to follow the money since Paraphernalia won't be a money making venture.  Russ and I tend to get together once every five years to see if the fires still going and last time we did that, I was singing Rocky Mountain Way instead of him.   Dewayne still works a night time job plus he is a full time grandpa and loves his grandkids but he has been known to partake a jam or two.

As they say, stay tuned for further developments.  Brenda and Greg Mein might figured into this as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.