Wednesday 23 May 2018

Various Jams: Terry McDowell Birthday Jam/Checkers 5/23/18

Checker's Acoustic Showcase (Hosts: Cathy Hart/Lorie Parker)

Song List:

Turn The Page
This Magic Moment
Knockin On Heaven's Door

Light My Fire/Can't Touch This
For What It's Worth
Everybody's Talking/Ring Of Fire
Jet Airliner
Keep Your Hands To Yourself


(Glen Gardner: Photo  L-R Mike Fredericks, Cathy Hart, Glen Gardner, Steve Black Wolf, Lorie Parker, Donna Jo, Mike Spina)

With:
Lorie Parker-Backing Vocals and Percussion on my songs
Steve Black Wolf-Lead Vocal and guitar (Turn The Page-Magic Moment-Knockin On Heaven's Door)
Glen Gardner-Lead Guitar (Page,Moment, Door)
Donna Jo-Backing vocal and percussion (On Steve Black Wolf's songs)
Cathy Hart-Guitar (Keep Your Hands To Yourself)
David Arnold-Lead Vocal and Guitar (Hands)
Mike Fredericks-Banjo and Guitar (Hands, Steve's set)
Carl Meiners
Luther Parker
David Spina
Mike Eisner
Jeff Gage
P J Harrington


(Photo credits: Brenda Hoskins-Mein with Terry)

Terry's Birthday Bash and Bacon Jam (Silver Star Saloon)

Songs; (Missing one or two)

Ain't No Sunshine
Gimme Shelter
Eyes On You
Can't Find My Way Back Home
Tube Steak Boogie
Take Me To The River
Going Up The Country
Shooting Star
Mary Jane's Last Dance
Little Wing


With:
Terry McDowell-Drums and Host
Tommy Bruner-Guitar and Vocals (1-6)
Randy "Bird" Burghdoff-Bass and Vocals (played on all of the songs)


Greg Mein-Lead Vocals, Guitar (6-9)
Brenda Hoskins-Mein-Backing vocals and flute (6,8)

Plus:
Kathy Runnells
Richard Edward Butler
Steve Stratton
Rob Haskill


(Bird, Crabby and Greg Mein-Silver Star Bacon Jam 5/23/18)

Notes; I know I did ten songs with Greg and another one with Tommy and Bird but I can't for the life of me remember them.

It was the first time that I partaken the Bacon Jam, basically to celebrate Terry's birthday. He's been doing a fine job hosting the jams around town and for a birthday gift I gave him a good pair of drumsticks.  Not a lot of jammers were there, Ed was there and of course he brought some of his more interesting songs selections, Sweet Jane, Ode To Billy Joe, Dyer Maker and Come Together (two of those songs are part of my songs when I play, guess which ones), Steve Stratton played a speed metal version of Dyer Maker which kinda fit the eccentric sounds of Ed Butler.

I finally got to have bacon after playing a long set of songs, and I loved the acoustics of the Silver Star Saloon and how Terry's snare sounded pretty good.  I thought that Greg was going to do The Weight but he ended up playing Shooting Star instead.  If Greg and Brenda ever started their own band I'd be happy to join their cause.

Somebody baked something called Bacon Brownies, which was Brownies sprinkled with bacon.  It was kinda rich tasting but they were quite good.  But I could only eat one though.

I also got to jam with Bird, who is part of Rare Earth, and they'll be touring a few dates in the summer but he's been very much part of the jam scene around the area.  I wasn't familiar with Tube Snake Boogie (it's one of those songs I never played live and Eyes On You was another surprise that was basically blues based.  The version of Ain't No Sunshine was more blues than Bill Withers but that's okay.  Tommy really did some great lead guitar work on Gimme Shelter and especially on Can't Find My Way Back Home, the Blind Faith song that left me searching in how to play it but eventually I found the right groove.

My co worker Kathy Runnels was in the house so I hung around with her till I went to Checkers' to visit and help out Cathy and Lorie and played congas for a while and then did a few songs.  I kinda did a medley of sorts starting with Light My Fire and messing around with U Can't Touch This before returning back to Light My Fire and into For What It's Worth.   Lorie Parker helped out on congas and backing vocals.  I had to deal with a bad plug in which kept shorting out during my performance. My Stone City buddies were there and I helped on congas on Steve Black Wolf's songs.  Glen Gardner played lead guitar.

I figured this would happen but the Chrome Horse on Blairs Ferry is no longer booking bands and musicians to play there, everything is now resorted back to the new Chrome Horse in New Bo.  The Blairs Ferry location has always a graveyard for previous drinking establishments and former bars in that building.  Questions remains if the Chrome Horse will be hanging around in the new area since the previous three bars that were there before the Chrome Horse New Bo went belly up. Could it be the high rent?  It's hard to tell but with summer rolling around, there'll be plenty of outdoor events coming up.  I'll do my best to frequent them and support the bands, but I also have to support my own band's (and Julie's)  efforts as well.  Can't be everywhere at once.

And the Marion Salvation Army is closing their doors.  Probably having something to do with the new hotel going up in that area and the rent being raised up I'm sure.  I've spent many a time sorting through CDs and LPs and finding 45s once in a great while and donated some things along the way too.  Steve Willard complained that the place was always dirty and smelly too but it kinda felt like home to me.   The way it goes it seems.  Another part of my life gone for the ages.

There was hope that this weekend the original Paraphernalia/Tyrus band would be getting together but so far, no word from Mike if he's wanting to do it.  But now I got word that Dewayne won't be able to play this weekend since he's going to an inpatient treatment for alcoholism.   I hope for the best in Dewayne that he'll be able to beat the demon alcohol and be around to watch his grand kids grow up.  And hopefully we can get together and play songs just we did back in the old days.

From Dewayne Schminkey:

I will be checking into ASAC tomorrow at 1:00 PM for in patient treatment for alcoholism. Will be there for 30 days. Gonna miss my family, friends and my 2 sweet little Grandson's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.