Sunday 27 May 2018

Rumors Jam/Otis Tailgator's Free Form Jam

At Rumors:

I played on  six songs;  Ross sang on
Margaritaville
Wonderful Tonight

Then:

Dirty Water
She Loves My Automobile
Superstition
Roadhouse Blues


Randy Bird Bergendoff-Guitar and Vocals (Automobile, Road House Blues)
Tommy Bruner-Guitar and vocals (Superstition, Dirty Water)
Byron Stevens-Bass
I played drums

There may have been a couple more that I played on.  Perhaps they'll come to light.

Jeremiah Murphy-Host bass player
Rob Haskill-Host Drummer

With

Herm Sarduy
Terry Lint
Tami Soukup
Sonya Adair
Karie Skogman
Ann Mishmash
Shelly Foley
Dan Hartman



And then off to Otis Tailgators with the Free Form Jam

Trevor Worcel-Drums
Josh-Bass
The guitar player's name I didn't get
I played guitar

Four songs (if you can call them that)

Free Form Funk in A
Magic Bus
Light My Fire/Free Form Funk in C
Sulfur Queen (made up on the spot)

With
Russ Swearingen
Debbie Swearingen
Shawn McDonald

Notes;  It was 97 degrees today. A record and the sun was hot.  The Paraphernalia Jam was me and Russ watching the Indy 500 to which Will Power won.  With Dewayne in rehab, John's mind was in Missouri and his body here in Iowa and Mike staying at home and playing Vegas slots on the computer and like the old days it just me and Russ wasting time watching TV.

I was slated to go to Mount Auburn for Mike Clair's Bar B Q and Blues party but I didn't write the address down and decided just to stay in town.  I eventually would meet Russ up at the Mexican place for supper and off to Otis Tailgators' for their jam.  I know we really don't do much things together, he has golf to play and I play in other jams.  But it was great to run into Russ, Deb and Shawn at the restaurant.

The Otis Tailgator's Jam had Trevor playing drums and it was a free form set of songs.  Not one of my best but then again I didn't have much help on the accompaniments from the other players, namely the guitar player who kept going into a different key and feel on the songs that I did.  With this Magic Bus was attempted and then aborted.  Light My Fire suffered from the same fate.  Trevor did managed to keep the beat before soloing into something different and the guitar player  going into somewhere else.  Sulfur Queen was thought up on the spot as I made up the words and just rolled my eyes at the free form spinning into a train-wreck. But at least we had fun.   I think.  I'm all for going on taking the music elsewhere but if you don't know the song or don't want to follow, then the songs sound like shit.  Julie was spared from this.  I think she had practice with Dave on the forthcoming Checker's jam.  Russ opted not to play this time out.

The Rumors jam was better although I was saddled into doing Wonderful Tonight with Ross singing it and the insufferable Maragartiaville but once that got out of the way, I ended up playing on a spirited Dirty Water and Tommy wanting me to slow down the beat on Superstition.  I tend to play it too fast for his liking.  A pretty good crowd and Rob had a nice Ludwig with a complete Zildjian Dark Crash cymbals and high hats.  I tended to like his Ping Ride the best.   It's funny how Rob always forgets my name when he talks to me.  I tell him it's same as yours, mine ends with a D your ends with an A.

Dan Hartman joined on the Rumors jam after ending the Cooters jam earlier.  Black The Sun was playing outdoors at CRL.  When I walked down there, they were on break it seems, so I didn't hang long.  As far as I know, Herman did go back up to play an encore but Terry Lint didn't play drums.

Since it was Memorial Day weekend, there weren't much crowd action elsewhere.  As far as I know I was the only jammer at Otis Tailgators' and went home early after my "performance"  Needless to say it was a very interesting experience and I wish them all well to make it a success in future jams.   Hopefully next time a little more substance and knowing the songs that I do play would help greatly too.

I should be back on the Stone City jam circuit next Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.