Tuesday 24 July 2018

Parlor City 7/24/18

6 Songs

Including: Hootchie Cootchie Man, How Come My Bull Dog Don't Bark, Moon Over Mississippi, 2 blues jams and You Can't Always Get What You Want

Bryce Janey-Lead Vocals, You Can't Always Get What You Want and Hootchie Cootcie Man
Jeff Taylor-Lead Vocals (Bulldog, Moon) and keyboards
Mark Awad-Bass
Me-Drums

Hosts
Tom Giblin, Dan Johnson and Jon Wilson

Tommy Bruner, Miles Demarso and Frederick Jones were  the other jammers.

Notes:  A very small group of jammers.  Bryce joked that he may have scared them all away.  I doubt that.  He lead us into a extended blues song before launching into a wild You Can't Always Get What You Want, which turned out to be a battle royal between him and Jeff Taylor on keyboards.  The rhythm section was me and Mark again.

Jeff did two songs I wasn't familiar with, How Come My Bulldog Don't Bark and Moon Over Mississippi.  Jeff and Bryce are steeped more into the blues than I am.

Tommy did Gimme Shelter and Miles played a off rhythm which did not fit the song but I commend him for trying a different sound.

Since there was no other jammers after I played, Bryce played drums and Jon Wilson played bass.

Somebody donated a bunch of promo copy records to Goodwill on the SW side and I managed to find about six of them including Alan Price, The Price Is Right and an unopened Mary Hopkin Those Were The Days LP on Apple. I decided to pass on Wings' Wild Life since what I recall of that album I didn't care much for.  However I did chat with a fellow record collector and I seen a copy of The Association Waterbeds In Trinidad! to which he admired and I ended up giving the album to him.  Another collector snagged The Mugwumps, a folk band featuring Zal Yakousky and Mama Cass on a promo Mono Warner Brothers album.  Both albums I had on CD and didn't see the need for those.  The one LP that got away was The Robbs S/T album for Mercury, it was too moldy for consideration.  I did get a promo of Belly Up from Dr Hook on a rush release label, namely a while label acetate which I have never seen before. It could worth something.  I also found a two LP set of Willie Mitchell's Greatest Hits on Hi, but that too was a bit moldy and warped.  So that was another one that got away.

Since I found albums at the SW Goodwill and Mount Vernon store, I decided to see if there was any donated albums at the Council St Goodwill and there wasn't any.   I guess you can't win them all.  But I might check out the Marion Goodwill store come tomorrow.  When I did a return visit to the Mount Version Rd Store, a lot of the vinyl was snapped up but the ones I did put back were still there, a Lesley Gore California Nights and  Donovan's 7Tease.  Overall, I found 24 LPs in three days, a record upon itself, even this late in record hoarding/Collecting.    Since the vinyl revival, finds are few and far between but this weekend and today it was much different.  If you can find Lee Hazelwood sealed, The Electric Prunes Mass In F Minor in good shape and Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkin still sealed for under 2 dollars...well you had a pretty good day in finding new music.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.