Tuesday 31 July 2018

Thoughts From The Townedger-July Edition

Parlor City Jam

With:
Tom Giblin-Keyboards
Jeff Petersen-Guitar and Vocals (Walking Blues, Real Gone Daddy)
Tommy Bruner-Guitar (Vocals on Jumping Jack Flash, Take Me To The River)
Byron Stevens-Bass (Little Wing, Chicken Shack, Jumping Jack Flash, Take Me To The River)
Mark Awad-Bass (On the last two songs that Jeff sang)
Tom on Harmonica
A Saxophone Player and his guitar playing buddy on (Little Wing, Chicken Shack)
Bob Dorr-Host Drummer
Dan Johnson-Host Bass Player

Songs"

Little Wing
Back At The Chicken Shack
Jumping Jack Flash
Take Me To The River
Walking Blues
Real Gone Daddy


(Bryon Stevens with Jon Wilson on drums)

NOTES:

Gibby threw a curve on me and played Back At The Chicken Shack and I didn't know the song.  So he coached me on how to play it the next time.  I should check out the Jimmy Smith version and be ready for the next time.  Gibby I'm sure can play it in his sleep.

I got to jam with Byron Stevens from Winterland fame.  He did a very awesome bass solo on Take Me To The River.  Plus I got to share two songs with my Cabin Jam partner Mark Awad too.

It was a surprise to see my boss's boss Tracy at Parlor City.  He was with his brother in law and we managed to sat and chat for a while.  I think he was surprised on how good I sounded, even on the songs I didn't know.

As always both Bob and Jeff were very gracious and great guys to hang with.   And that rare occasion...Bob and myself were the only drummers there tonight.  No Miles, nor Dr. Hanna.  So they let me play an extra two songs.   Jeff and Tommy played dueling guitar solos on Jumping Jack Flash which you had to hear to believe.

Quite a few people there tonight.  But I'm still amazed I was the only other drummer there tonight.


(Vintage photo of Bob Dorr for the first Blue Band album, taken by the late David Maricle)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



It's been a very busy month for me in the jamming department.  14 appearances at various places, mostly Checker's and Rumors.   I haven't been to Stone City the past month since I have errands and things to do around town but I think I'll be there this Sunday since I don't want to get stuck in the traffic and the crowds at the Evolve Festival next weekend.  My friends Four Day Creep will be playing there.


July has gone by so fast, it seems like everything goes by so fast anymore and we don't have time to sit back and enjoy our accomplishments.  The Cabin Jam was the moment of the month and getting to jam with everybody for almost 4 hours and keeping the mosquitoes at bay.  Having a turbo ran on me really helped a lot but I still have welts from the bloodsucking bastards two weeks later on.   It's hard to believe the month started out backing Julie and Ryan when they played Buchanan Winery.  After that, I paired up with some fine musicians, the Parlor City Blues jam with Mark Awad on bass, my rhythm buddy from the Cabin Jam.   I miss having Dan Johnson on stage with me but I enjoy backing up Mark whenever I can.

I was blown away by the comments that Craig Erickson mentioned about me.  This comes from the best known guitar player out of Cedar Rapids who managed to record a few albums for Mike Varney and Shrapnel Records.  I've known Craig off and on for many years, he sold me my first 4 track recorder back in 1989.  On my part, I'm a very shy and reclusive person, I go back inside my shell even at jams.  I am so much in awe of him that I can't figure what to say to the man when I see him at the Hy Vee at 1 AM.   But yet, he manages to say good things about my drumming on the night that we did jam at Parlor City.  I tend to feed off on other musicians and go in that direction, back in the past, my wild drumming style I tended to take everybody at warp speed, but as I found out last August, that didn't suit very well to their style, nor mine.  So, for the past couple months I decided to stick to playing a beat that people can dance to.  It's still a work in progress.

There's great guitar players out there and every one of them have their own style.  Bear Clair, Tommy Bruner, Rich Toomsen, Daddy O, Stu the Dew, Ryan Phelan, Bryce Janey, his dad too, but nobody has had that Jimi Hendrix vibe like Craig Erickson.  I look at him as more as blues-fusion player.  The Maury Baker Jam, I played guitar and sang, and he came up to help out on Spoonful.  In my usual self, I was playing around trying to get a groove, and Craig popped up and managed to I.D. the groove and went with it.  And then this month, I played drums to his guitar on Redhouse Blues and I heard from Dan Johnson that my style was like Mitch Mitchell.   Some big time compliments right there.  It helped that Rob Haskill had his drums up there and his cymbal lineup was perfect for me to play the songs right.  Rob plays with Craig when they are out and about and he plays K cymbals.  The ping ride helped a great deal too. If I'm in tune with what the other guys are playing I'll make it sound better.  In the end,  I responded to what Craig was playing and it turned out pretty good.

Another high point was Lisa Fox from Dreamer's Edge wanting to do a band too.  When you have an evening job it's hard to really play anywhere.  She's got a good voice playing the classic rock songs that I'm lukewarm to.   We're Facebook friends but I think we said two words to each other at jams. I think in trying to balance record collecting, The Townedgers, my solo stuff and the jams something will have to go by the wayside.  They still can't keep me away from the record stores or bargain hunts as Julie is finding out the hard way.

I'm not a big fan of the tired rock classics,  I rather not play Don't Stop Believing or Wagon Wheel or (for F**k' sake's) Sweet Chile O Mine.  Once I go to see Dreamer's Edge and figure out what songs they play I'll get a good idea of what Lisa plays for songs.  I don't think they vary much from what Julie plays (or for that matter Toxic Blonde).  It remains a chore to play the crappy songs but if it gets people to sing along and dance, then who am I to judge?

Not only Julie is my favorite singer, she's also a damn good cook.  I know she's doing her damnest to make me embrace the vegan way of life but I just can't get into everything that's green.   She gave me two Basil plants, which are good for pizza toppings but not as a salad. The taste is kinda harsh.

I haven't been to Ellis Rocking Reunion but if they want me to help out on the jams I'll be happy to.

John Shultz passed away Tuesday.  He was one of the best keyboard players in town.

I cannot tolerate Donald Trump, he's an idiot and I didn't vote for him, he's not my POTUS but he is a big headache.  I have band mates that worship him.  It shouldn't deter me from jamming with them, as long nobody brings him up.

Since I document my set list and who I play with on certain nights, I have to learn to keep the gossip out of my music site.  There's  plenty of drama going on with certain members and my theory is this: if they're happy with one another, that's all that matters.   I'm happy with what I have with Julie.

I'm certain I'll be very busy in August with the jams and acoustic showcases.  As long it's fun, why not continue.  And have fun?

Music is a blessing.  So is a good woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.